Is The “Roots” Remake a History Lesson OR A Prediction of Our Future?

Posted: June 2, 2016 in Uncategorized

[The 2016 version of the 1977 mini-series “Roots” based on the book by Alex Haley is the story of Kunta Kinte, born free in Africa in 1750, and covers the years up to 1960 and his American descendant in America, Alex Haley.]

When I first heard about this remake, my first question was: WHY?

A friend of mine called the morning after it aired and asked if I watched the “new” Roots. I told him I hadn’t, and that I have no intention of watching it. I asked him why he thought white Hollywood is suddenly so interested in our “black his-tory?” Since he didn’t have an answer, I decided to play devil’s advocate by coming up with some possible reasons of my own:

Reason #1: White people love and respect black history so much, they have to make films about it.

This reason falls flat, considering how little of our history is told in american history books. In fact, the major textbook publishers in the nation are deleting slavery and refer to African slaves as “workers.”

Reason #2: Money — because there is more money in making films about slavery and segregation and butlers and domestic workers than any other black theme.

This makes no sense since I seriously doubt black people would rather see ourselves in chains and butler uniforms on the big screen than in contemporary love stories (of which there are very, very few, other than the type where black males harm black females).

Reason #3: White producers are making films about black slaves and butlers and domestic help out of a sense of “white guilt” and feel compelled to show the world how badly they treated us. This is the most illogical reason of all.

If white guilt ruled the behavior of powerful whites, black people would not be suffering from educational and employment racism, massive incarceration, police brutality, inferior quality food and lead-contaminated water, and inadequate medical care.

________

Why are Hollywood’s “black history” movies restricted to slavery and segregation themes? Why don’t they do a story about black inventors and scientists and all the thousands of great black heroes that existed then?

Because Hollywood – an extension of the white supremacy system – is determined to portray blacks as an inferior, helpless, hopelessly violent, degraded, and diminished humanity.

The real question should be:

Why are black people so eager to let the people who oppressed us continue to tell our stories? Would Jews let the Germans tell their stories? Would whites let black people tell their stories? The only people who allow others to define their history are people who are still enslaved and trapped in a slave mindset.

So, what could be the reason behind all these black revisionist films? I believe it an announcement of the intentions of the white supremacist system toward the black population as the economy fails and old-style racism rears its ugly head.

I know of black college graduates who cannot find work, even at temp agencies where whites use code words to keep from hiring black people. I know of young black, college-educated females who are cleaning white women’s houses in the south because there are no jobs for them.

I know of a young black female who posed as a white female on the Monster Jobs website and got a ton of offers but no offers when it was known she was black. Blacks are being incarcerated in prisons all across the country at record rates, working for 90 cents an hour for corporate America — the modern day slavery.

Instead of viewing these films as flattering and/or as strictly entertainment, the black collective should be ON GUARD as to the direction we are headed in.

And stop supporting these films with our dollars and precious time .

This is NOT about not knowing OR respecting our history. Of course we should do that. What I oppose is allowing the white supremacist HOLLYWOOD and TELEVISION industry to TEACH IT.

They are waging a war against our minds and our future.  We cannot afford to be this naïve and trusting after our experiences with this system.

Comments
  1. maat433 says:

I thought that too–that they are trying to get us re-acclimated to the physical plantation. My question is, how many are voluntarily going, if that is their plan? I know I ain’t.

We are best qualified to tell our own storis. Our stories are very diverse. When any movie from the mainstream comes out, we should always use our critical analysis to critique the components and the intentions of why the remake existed in the first place. It is still taboo for stories about Black Love, black inventors, and black heroic people to be shown en masse by Hollywood. We shouldn’t support those who disrespect us and we should find ways to show our own stories and help the poorest in our communities (because there are many black people with immense, huge qualifications that struggle to get decent paying jobs. You’re right that many whites with minimal experience get high paying jobs over a black person with certifications and the whole nine yards). We should know about the Maafa, but our real black history didn’t begin with the Maafa. The true story of the beauty of Africa has the right to be shown by us. The system is racist, classist, and very oppressive against black people. That is why I believe in self determination and social activism to promote liberation.

3. Providence says:

I stopped supporting such films a few years ago. The original Roots is/was good, but that was 30+ years ago, and they’re STILL making movies and TV series depicting Black people in chains (Runaway, Django, 12yrs, etc). This is mind control, its so obvious. Have you ever seen a film depicting our existence prior to civil rights, slavery and the rise of so-called white supremacy? If such a film exists, its whitewashed (ie Exodus Gods and Kings, Prince of Persia, Noah, Hannibal, etc). I’m sure Blacks would rush to see movies of what was taking place throughout the vast African kingdoms, from Carthage to Mali to Zululand. Hell, I would love to see a movie on the Blackamoors and how they conquered and civilized Europe, thus igniting their so-called “renaissance”. However, we all know that this is a tall order to ask of the Jewish cabal of filmmakers. Where’s Spike? John Singleton? Antoine Fuqua? We should expect brothers like these to be custodians of OUR stories — not racist white jewish khazars.

@ Providence

I doubt any black filmmaker with name recognition will risk the wrath of white/Jewish Hollywood.

Not if they want to have their films distributed via the large movie chains

The problem is we do not have networks of support and most will not put their money where our mouths are. We are hypnotized and think “someone else” will step up and “do something.”

Unless we wake up from our sleepwalking trance, I don’t see anything changing.

• maat433 says:

What do you think of Byron Allen and his current lawsuit against Charter & another communications giant? I read where he put up a bid for the Nat Turner movie but of course, Fox, outbid him. What would have been gangster is if the brotha who created it would have taken his bid just to have it owned by a black company. But we know that’s not how these negroes think.

4. Ralph Browne says:

I watched 5 min. of this propaganda in support of white violence and depravity and realized the evil intention of white supremacist mind control. I have warned that as whites lose control and find that they cannot control their urge to ravage and destroy the earth through excessive extraction industries, toxic pollution of the air and water, animal extinctions and their naturally disingenuous culture that they will become more violent and frenzied. They are madmen suffering from an incurable disease whose symptoms are a hugely inflated ego, an inability to see the world as an living organism that deserves respect and care, an inability to see humanity in other than through a sick xenophobic lens ang an innate desire to destroy all they touch. It is a mental illness that shrouds and distorts not only their self perception but also infects their inability to get along with others. The space race or race to space is their desire to get away from the destruction they will leave behind as their legacy. But they will not make it. Their technology is insufficient and if they could get off the journey would be too long and expose them to their on destructive and disingenuous ways and the type of inbreeding that has already created genetic disease problems within their population. That is not to say that the other 95+ percent of the world population of color should passively sit around to watch the world be gutted by a sniveling few who cannot control their predilection for destruction and disharmony. But real solutions to this problem should not be discussed in a public forum. Even they no the importance of secret societies and secrets.

5. I think it’s just another way to condition our minds to stay in a slave mindset. We were brought here to be servants and they always have to remind us we are STILL servants for them. That’s why we still get roles playing slaves,maids and butlers.
    Pam you said:

They are waging a war against our minds and our future. We cannot afford to be this naïve and trusting after our experiences with this system.”

You are 100% correct! I couldn’t agree more. Thank you for this great post.

It is so troubling to see the apathy and unwillingness to think beyond one’s own pleasure and gratification. I am surrounded daily by people who NEVER look beyond the surface of things, and who implicitly trust that white people will look after them.

They do not want to believe that there is a system with its foot on their necks. They do not want to believe their children will bear the brunt of our short-sightedness.

They do not want to believe that education, degrees, luxury cars, houses, credit cards, etc will not make them safe in a white supremacy system that–with the stroke of a pen–can be erased from their balance sheets

I am not knocking our accomplishments. I think we are an amazing people who have consistently overcome odds that would knock most groups on their asses.

What I’m saying is this is a MATRIX, a mass deception of mind and body and spirit

We need to take our heads out of the sand, put our egos on the shelves and look at our very vulnerable state in this white supremacy system so we can come up with realistic solutions and strategies,

• maat433 says:

I think most black people just want to become ‘trustees’ in this prison system or like ‘overseers’..most don’t even consider the possibility of life beyond this system. Let’s be honest, this has always been the case. Most of those enslaved remained on the plantation. Very few risked escaping. Nothing has really changed. The vanguard or those willing to step outside of accepted bounds are always the minority. The question is: What can we do individually and with those willing to work with us–to start a spark at least in our people’s mind that there is an alternative and this is NOT how it has to be. I don’t care what they say or try to push with all of these slave movies. God did not send me here to ‘serve’ insane feral animals.

@ maat433

That is the million dollar question. What can we do individually?

The best answer I can give is to focus on those people who you deem sincere by word and deed. You will find that number shrinking the more serious you become. But, understand that the majority of people — be they black or white or whatever — want to be led by someone other than themselves.

You have to accept that you will not be able to reach most of the people with your message. They will not be interested and will not participate.

When King first appeared on the scene, he did not have the support of most blacks. Neither did Malcolm X.

Not that I’m comparing me or anyone else to these two great visionaries. My point is you won’t get most of the people on board. But I believe as racial hostilities toward us increase, there will be more people looking for new answers.

The best you can do is lead yourself. Second, lead your children. Third, try to help other like-minded individuals seeking answers.

And remember, — if you help one person, you did what you were supposed to do

• PrimaDiva says:

If slaves left those plantations most would have died. They stayed because they knew that and they wanted you to be their vision. We have NO IDEA of the life they had. And what they went through to make it to the next hour day month or year. NONE. 0. At least in slave movies our people get a voice.

• Co-sign 100%! Thanks Pam!

• Epi says:

@ The Prince:

“What I oppose is allowing the white supremacist HOLLYWOOD and TELEVISION industry to TEACH IT. They are waging a war against our minds and our future.”

And that’s just the thing, Prince. Though I am not an advocate of the “idiot box” for the most part, it is SO astounding the number of BLACK people that will refute me and fight “tooth and nail” to remain mesmerized by television “programming” that is thrust upon them daily to be “entertained.” All that many have to do is to use their CRITICAL THINKING AND COMMON-SENSE SKILLS. It does not take a Ph.D and one does not have to be a rocket-scientist to use them. When it got to the point that individuals KEPT “justifying” these shows that they watch? “Stick a fork in me, I was done.” This is why I state that “not all of US will be saved.” smh…

I WON’T give up on my people, at least those that are and want to be ACTIVE for change in our core racial group. But I am not breaking my a** for those that don’t care or give a rat’s a** either. Focus on THAT would take too much time and effort away from strategic planning and thinking. .

All that we can do is “be better than the world has taught many to be.” Thank you, Prince!

Phazex_Female

• Thank you Phazex! That was very well said! These slavery films just keep coming don’t they? White folks love this era. I think they love seeing us beaten and whipped. To them it’s the “good old days”. They like to remind us of what they did to us.

6. Isaac Sundiata says:

If Hollywood truly wants to be different and show a unique part of our history that has not been over exploited or even exposed at all, they can show the brutality of lynching and it’s history through the present day.It would clearly expose the American fascination with having mass mob mentally cupped with hate,rage and blame.With the emergance of Donald Trump as a candidate to public office the same admispher has resurfaced with exceptabiity and popularity.

@ Isaac Sundiata

Interesting point.

I suspect showing the history of lynching reveals a bit too much about the white sociopathic and psychopathic tendencies.

7. Sharon53 says:

@Everyone
    Great post as always. Regarding some of the statements made about our history and how “…the major textbook publishers in the nation are deleting slavery and refer to African slaves as “workers.” And “why don’t they do a story about black inventors and scientists and all the thousands of great black heroes that existed then?”
    After reading the post and all the comments today, I happen to walk into an acquaintance’s barbershop and noticed on the wall, he had a large poster with black people on it with the title “Black Wall Street.” I began to discuss it with him and I was really disturbed when he stated that I was one of only a few black people who had heard of Black Wall Street. It is so hard to believe that we have been so oppressed in this country that most of us are not aware of the history of Black Wall Street.

Regarding the statements “I know of black college graduates who cannot find work, even at TEMP agencies where whites use code words to keep from hiring black people. I know of young black, college-educated females who are cleaning white women’s houses in the south because there are no jobs for them. Black schools are closing, blacks are being pushed out of major urban centers, and black poverty is rising at an astronomical rate. It should be obvious the so-called civil rights clock is turning backwards.”
    Often when I try to talk to other blacks about this, they start talking about something else or conveniently have to go. Poverty, homelessness, drug addiction, and mental illness are definitely spiraling out of control. First, it was mostly homeless black men that I use to see in the downtown area and most of the homeless, younger black women with children were in the shelters. As of late, I have noticed a stark rise in older, homeless black women out in the suburban areas. A few have come to my church and had to be escorted out after they became disruptive. I don’t know these women personally so I don’t know their stories but until recently, I had never seen this many homeless, older black women in the area where I live. I also know of 3 older black women who cannot find work and are presently living off their daughters. One has to have on rose-colored glasses to not see that things are out of control.

@Sister Sharon53

You have made interesting, accurate observations about what is going on. Yes, many black people don’t know about Black Wall Street which is about a black community in Oklahoma (that thrived with stores, businesses, etc.) that was firebombed by racist terrorists. The subjects of poverty, homelessness, and mental illness must be talked about in our communities if we want solutions to exist. Many people are one paycheck away from homelessness. Some folks are desperate for relief and safety, because of the economic problems that we face from record income inequality to the high level of cost for health care and basic human necessities. There are many black women who are homeless and many black men who are homeless. We have an epidemic of black women suffering murder, abuse, and other evils. We have the right to speak up about these issues. This reality is why I don’t blame the poor for every problem in our communities. Literally, it is the super wealthy that caused a lot of problems from unjust wars to the War on Drugs. That is why it takes strength to stand up for our people and especially for the most poorest of our community.

• Sharon53 says:

@Timothy,
        Thanks for your comments. The fact that so many of us don’t know about Black Wall Street and so much more of our history has to do with programming. We are taught to forget both our personal and collective history because people in power know that if you don’t know your history, you will keep making the same mistakes over and over again. Even those with no power don’t want you talking about the past because I have actually been told by both black and white people that I dwell on the past too much because I actually like talking about history. I remind them of something I once heard and that is ‘if you DWELL on your past, you lose one eye, if you FORGET your past, you lose both eyes.’ So I am not dwelling on the past but I am not going to forget it either. History can actually be used as a weapon against you. Knowing history is really about remembering your lessons and blessings. If you forget your lessons, God himself will keep bringing those lessons back into your life until you do learn them. That’s what so many Christians and non-Christians can’t seem to get.
        You are correct when you stated that “the subjects of poverty, homelessness, and mental illness must be talked about in our communities if we want solutions to exist.” Some of us act as if poverty is a thing of the past for black people, some completely ignore homelessness among us, and far too many of us feel that we as a people are not affected by mental illness, because ‘blacks don’t crack.’ I feel that we are the most resilient people in the world, but we are still human, not robots and we all have a breaking point, just like everybody else.

@Sister Sharon53

I completely agree with you. History is about learning lessons and focusing on analyzing the legacy of our ancestors. Queen Nzinga, Sojouner Truth, and Muhammad Ali represent the greatness of our people. Many folks in the younger generation believe in the misconception that if someone accurately shows historical events, then that person is ignoring the present. The only way that we can establish a better future is to understand the pass. That lesson stays true. For example, the Jewish people say Never Forget in reference to the Holocaust. That is why they set up museums, exhibits, and programs to make sure that people recognize the barbarism of the Holocaust (which also killed black people too, which included Afro-Germans and black American G.I.S.). We have the right to do the same. We are most qualified to tell about our own stories that we show, because our experiences matter. The real problems of homelessness and mental illness should be addressed and those who experience those situations should always be given compassion and respected of their humanity. The only way to move forward is to handle the problems of the present and respecting the courageous sacrifice of those from the past. We honor also Muhammad Ali’s legacy for his courageous stand against the Vietnam War, for his concern for humanity, and for his overt love of black people.

You’re right that God wants us to learn history, so we can understand lessons for our spiritual growth. Life is a journey and nothing will be completely perfect. Yet, God does want us to be much better in the future than the past. That’s very clear. The establishment uses programming constantly in order for them to promote distraction, propaganda, and neoliberalism. Our excellent resiliency as black people doesn’t negate the fact that many of our people need our concern and our respect. Thank you for showing your views.

• Sharon53 says:

@Timothy,
            Thanks for your commentaries. Regarding your statements on how “the Jewish people say Never Forget in reference to the Holocaust….”, it is interesting how it is okay for the Jewish people to remember their past, but others become threatened and insecure if blacks want to talk about the past and our history. That is all the more reason why I think we, as a people, need to keep our past and history alive. It is very dangerous not to do so. If we don’t, then we will continue to take on the cultural and racial identities of our oppressors and also continue to flounder like some of us are doing.
            Thank you for speaking on Muhammad Ali. He was a courageous black man and I was saddened to hear of his passing.
            You made a very profound statement when you stated “Our excellent resiliency as black people doesn’t negate the fact that many of our people need our concern and our respect.” This is true for both black men and black women but I would like to make some comments in reference to black women on the matter. We as black women do need everybody’s concern and respect but somehow our endurance has been used against us. There are so many myths thrown out there that dehumanize us such as “black women rarely need support”, “black women should support everyone else, while putting our own needs on hold”, “black women are strong all the time and should never be vulnerable, and even though we are expected to be strong all the time, that also makes us undesirable partners”. The last myth is really twisted. If those are not a recipe for a mental breakdown, I don’t know what is. It is impossible for anyone to live up to those myths but I believe a lot of sisters have tried that and that is probably another reason why we are seeing so many of them crumble.
            One thing I want to mention is as I was growing up in the 1960s, I never heard any of these myths but once I became an adult and moved to a large urban area, I started hearing these myths and I never liked them but it seemed some black women tried to live up to them. And I can’t help but wonder, if that is why we are now beginning to see so many older black women with these blatant mental issues. It is just something to think about, because I really do believe there is a connection. You have a great day.

• Epi says:

Well said, Sharon

For our “Big Mommas,” “Nana’s” are leaving us in record numbers these days. And taking a WHOLE lot of Black culture with them. Which is why we should always, always treasure them as well as the male factor and RECORD whatever they have to share for the next generations. From my observation and experience, these women ARE what I do call “strong, black women.” The women that could make ” a dollar out of fifteen cents….lol!” Women that don’t/didn’t use “material therapy” to feel good about themselves instead of the focus being on love of self, family, community, etc. Real talk and SOUL food! It is not only our black people that have did this, it crosses all ethnicities. When more worth is placed on that almighty dollar than the “human aspect.” When, as you stated, “people take on the cultural and racial identities of our oppressor.”

By the same token, many of our sistas in the black community are “swept under the rug” when they experience psycho-social problems or mental issues. Unfortunately, in the black community, acknowledging this is still taboo in many families. And we have to be more supportive of this as we know that the larger society is not and we have to take care of our own with the needed resources to help them. We have to become a bit more “selfless” in this respect.

Regarding the Jewish Halocaust, the BLACK Halocaust is still going on!. And, as I have referenced before, the Jewish Halocaust did not even occur on American soil. It occurred in Eastern Europe! Yet Blacks received several decades of inhuman treatment and it makes others “uncomftable” when the subject is brought up which I give less than a rat’s a** about. Yet Jews received reparations from BOTH Germany and the U.S. But that’s another story and I digress….

I hear you, Sharon. Keep our PAST history alive. For if we do not know our past? We are bound to repeat it. And more importantly, provide the children with oral histories as well.

Phazex_Female

• Sharon53 says:

@ Phazex_Female
                Thanks for your comments on this matter. You stated “from my observation and experience, these women ARE what I do call “strong, black women.” The women that could make” a dollar out of fifteen cents….lol!” Women that don’t/didn’t use “material therapy” to feel good about themselves instead of the focus being on love of self, family, community, etc. Real talk and SOUL food!”
                Your comments are so true and they very much describe black women like my mother and others in the community when I was growing up during the 1960s. They were so blessed to have the privilege of the extended family at that time. Even though most households had sometimes up to 10 children, we were fulfilled and did not need material things to be fulfilled. In fact, by today’s standards, we were considered “poor.” However, the good news is we did not know we were supposed to be poor (LOL). Having grown up in a rural setting, we always had enough to eat because we lived off the land, had plenty of people to play with, and for the most part, were safe and secure as there was little to no crime at that time. For me, at that time, life could not get any better. Everything was segregated at that time also, but we did not care, because our self-esteem was so healthy that we could care less if whites wanted to be around us.
                However, once I became an adult and moved to an urban area in the 1970s, I gradually began to see things change. This was after the height of all the black movements, the Vietnam War, and desegregation. When I look back on it, I can almost see the change in real time. There are many factors that caused this change and as situations began to snow-ball, we got caught up in it, like being in a spider web. We started mimicking the white lifestyle, not realizing how dysfunctional it was for them. It seems we only took on the worst habits from whites. This is where all this obsession with money and material things began. We also started listening to the lies the media tell us about ourselves and sadly we believe it, even the negative stuff. I believe this is one of the main things that has created all this infighting between black men and black women. We also started living together (they called it shacking up back in the day), we started having babies all willy-nilly out of marriage, and when we did marry, oftentimes it ended in divorce. They came up with the non-contested divorces to make it easy for us to get out of marriage. The church began to change, and all the prosperity ministry churches started cropping up and they perpetuated this obsession with money and material things. These are just a few of the things that have caused our situation to spiral out of control.
                I agree that “many of our sistas in the black community are “swept under the rug” when they experience psycho-social problems or mental issues. Unfortunately, in the black community, acknowledging this is still taboo in many families.” What I am noticing is the stark rise in mental issues and homelessness among older sisters from the ages of the 50s and early 60s. I also know several who would be homeless if their children did not bail them out.
                Thank for your comments regarding the Jewish Holocaust. Another reason I believe the Jews, the Japanese, etc. received reparations is they are considered ‘honorary whites.’ As far as blacks are concerned, I believe they will always try to keep their foot on us because they have to always have someone they feel superior too. That is just how disgustingly narcissistic these people are.

Great Words Sister Sharon53 and Enjoy your Day too.

8. Trojan Pam says:

@ Sharon53

I have noticed more older black females — usually single — who are struggling and seem to be mentally ill.

I believe there is a tremendous amount of financial instability that is masked by staying one step ahead via robbing Peter to pay Paul, living on borrowed money and borrowed time. I think many black females (that I have known of) become fixated on material things to make up for great emotional dissatisfaction and loneliness. This is not an easy time to be black, female, and over 40. Heck, it’s not easy at any time. Nor is it easy to be a black male.

I know of many black females (over 50) who are literally spending themselves into oblivion, going on expensive vacations, buying designer clothes, drinking expensive liquor, eating out frequently, driving cars and trucks they can’t afford, and are frequent faces at the riverboat casinos, – just totally, totally obsessed with material things and having a successful image as a cure-all for what really ails them

and many will end up broke and God forbid, homeless, save a family member who rescues them and the resulting shame and pressure and pain drives many of them over the edge into full blown mental illness. I have seen this with my own eyes.

And this is true (for different reasons like drugs and alcohol) for many black males who will also wind up broke and homeless unless rescued by a family member

The increased instability is due to the effects of the economy as more and more of us lose good paying jobs and the pressures of white supremacy bear down on our heads.

Of course, I’m not saying all black people are in dire financial straits but the numbers are climbing for all the people in this economy.

I don’t know how any black person cannot see what is happening around them unless they don’t want to see.

• Sharon53 says:

@Trojan Pam
      Thanks for your comments. You really summed matters up accurately. I am happy to see that I am not the only one seeing the growing problem with homelessness among older black women.
      It is also true that all black people are not in financial trouble but I believe most are living above their means and one paycheck away from being homeless. I know many that have even taken on a second job to make ends meet.

@ Sharon53

I agree. A recent study claimed a high percentage (over 50%) of americans do not have $2,000 on hand for an emergency. Is this true? I believe it might be. I do believe that absence a paycheck most americans would be only a few paychecks away from being broke, and this is definitely true of a lot of black people.

Many people do not understand that the stock market is a PONZI SCHEME, that the gains are falsified, that corporations buy back their own stock to keep the stock price high, and that this market is doomed to fall

The majority of the black people I know who are “well-off” are invested heavily in the stock market or have a lot of money in 401Ks. What happens to this “money” when the market crashes? It is transferred to those at the top of the pyramid.

A home is not an asset unless it appreciates and you sell it. Other than that it is an EXPENSE, meaning it costs money, it doesn’t make money

sad, but unfortunately, it is true.

• Sharon53 says:

@Trojan Pam
          Thanks for enlightening me about the stock market and 401K Plans. I am also noticing that more and more companies have gotten away from pension plans. And those people who have retired that have pension plans, still don’t seem to be that much better off than those of us who do not. Most of them don’t seem to have enough money and have to really watch their budget. One particular friend of mine that I thought was doing very well financially, actually had problems selling her house because she had a second mortgage on it.
          As far as owning a home, I learned too late that a home is not really an asset. I bought my house new and because of the cheap materials used to build it and cheap appliances they put in it, I have already spent a fortune in repairs and having to replace things in it. And what expenses I incur through the year to use as write-offs at tax time just ‘don’t cut the mustard.’

9. Njoy says:

Well it is ( his story) but definitely NOT our history. Our existance on earth is far more grand we are the first known kings and queens, not only slaves. Since more blacks are waking up and are aware that we are the originators of all human life. I would have to guess the movie Roors is not a future projection but another attempt at mental warfare. If You don’t KNOW your history they Will tell you whay they want you to know. That’s what Roots means to me they are trying keep us rooted mentally as slaves.

10. scottytreid says:

Roots is propaganda to make you think that slavery was abolished and what we are dealing with today is “mass incarceration” instead of slavery. The entire world has fallen for the biggest fraud ever known. We keep looking at the past without putting into the context of the present. These movies also have the effect of making every American born Black person think they are descendants of enslaved Africans when that is a lie and it is totally excludes the hundreds of thousands of free black people during those same time periods. These movies also have the effect of inflicting more trauma on Black people and instead of linking Traumatic Stress Disorders as a result of our current enslavement and mistreatment, we got people wanting us to believe that our stress related issues are a result of slavery past tense ignoring the current period of modern enslavement we face.

I don’t need white people to show a movie or tv series to remember anything about the evils of this nation. Furthermore, I am more concerned about the present than I am about the past. Again, slavery was never abolished but for some reason black people keep repeating and believing the lies of their enslavers.

@ scottytreid

I agree, Roots is propaganda and a false depiction of our collective African/black history. I would strongly suggest that people avoid ALL Hollywood movies that attempt to tell (distort) our history. They are NOT OUR FRIENDS. We need to wake up to that FACT.

11. reality_check says:

Sorry Pam, I have to disagree with you on your point #2: I belive that there IS big money in rehashing the slave narrative for white Hollywood. Blacks in your defeated mental state WANT to see movies about our oppression, humiliation, rape, torture, murder, etc. It’s UNREAL. Just look at all the blacks that have come out in droves in support of Roots 2.0 and all the other slave-themed movies that have come out in the last 5 years (e.g., Django, 12 years, etc.) I have argued with many seemingly intelligent blacks about the dangers to black people of absorbing too many slavery movies. Those of us who are against these displays are in the minority I think, Pam and that is sad.

I agree with your analysis, and I wholeheartedly agree that these programmings are being used as psychological warfare on black people, and most of us are none the wiser.

It saddens and sickens me that my people can sit for 2- 8 hours and be voluntarily psychologically assaulted by these filmmakers and not think anything about it. This shows us the truly degenerated mental and spiritual state that black Americans are in AND how extremely vulnerable we all are to re-LIVING Roots again right here on American shores.

Great analysis @Trojan Pam!

@ reality_check

The one thing I have learned about white supremacy is money is rarely the motivation behind its actions. They don’t need money, they PRINT MONEY.

I have seen instances where white supremacists will LOSE money to maintain their power. Money is NOT power. When I have the POWER, money simply becomes a TOOL to manipulate and hypnotize those who do not have it — or have enough.

I have had this debate with many black people who think white supremacists are motivated by money. They don’t need your money. Once they have thoroughly brainwashed and programmed the black masses (and everyone else) you will GIVE THEM ALL YOUR MONEY.

If white Hollywood made uplifting (and factual) movies about black/African history, I believe they’d make MORE money yet they won’t do it. Why?

What if they made a movie about Black Wall Street or Marcus Garvey, or the Kings and Queens in Africa or about the great African civilizations that existed before Europeans were even a thought bubble

Do you think those movies would make the same or more money as as the slavery and segregation movies? I think they’d make more but for argument’s sake, let’s say they’d make the same amount of money

If money is their primary motivation, why won’t white Hollywood make them?

What about really complex and intriguing black love stories where black men and women wind up together in loving relationships? Wouldn’t those movies make a lot of money?

If so, why doesn’t white Hollywood make them?

I try to encourage black people to NOT get caught up on the money angle. Most of us have NO idea how much money is already in the hands of white supremacists OR that they do not measure their wealth in terms of paper dollars

Paper is worthless. Money has been digitized into ones and zeros and in many instances, it doesn’t even exist, like the “money” in your bank account that isn’t really there.

Only those who have very little money think little bits of ink and paper rule the world.

I assure you, they do not.

Of course, we can agree to disagree. It is always good to hear from you!

12. Epi says:

@ Sister Sharon:

Great words! Though my generation is behind you, I only wish that MORE of the generations behind BOTH of us could “see and experience” what we did “back in the day.” To enjoy the rewarding and enriching experiences that we did. Though I did not grow up as you did in a rural area, I can almost envision the things that you experienced as a child with a lot of love and “not knowing that we were poor When our people laid down that bag of burdens for that bag of integration, that is when our problems. began.

Sign. Good times!

Phazex_Female

13. alicia356 says:

I sure won’t be watching it, that’s one thing for sure! not sure why they wasted money to remake it. Don’t even think I’ve seen the original. I can only take so many slave/oppression movies per lifetime, especially since I’m having to live it in the workplace and elsewhere. no thanks!

@Sister Courtney

First, I think it is great for Harvey to show stories about his relatives being involved in the civil rights movement. Chicago was filled with racism back then and today. Chicago had de facto segregation, which means not segregation by law, but by policy. There were many leaders in the Civil Rights Movement like Ella Baker, Gloria Richardson, Septima Clark, Fannie Lou Hamer, etc. We, as black people, should learn about the past. We have the right to show movies about our past. Our past involve black inventors, black scholars, and other great black heroes. Other ethnic groups acknowledge their past, but black people are condemned for even embracing our past. Harvey is right that the N word is an evil, vile word. We have to promote integrity and honesty in the world. He’s right that we wouldn’t be hear without the strength and courage of our black ancestors. Anyone disrespecting LeVar Burton is low. LeVar Burton donated to black colleges and he promoted Reading Rainbow. We have to learn lessons and advance progressively if we are to be truly liberated. Harvey made a great point about exposing “gangster” rap as being poison since it degrades black women, it degrades black people in general, and it promotes evil stereotypes too. The civil rights movement shouldn’t be sugarcoated. SNCC confronted white racism and even Dr. King exposed the evil mentalities of white moderates and war hawks. We should learn about our stories throughout our history. We have to know where we come from. I don’t agree with Harvey using profanity, but he made many great points in the video.

People need to wake up.

Therefore, black consciousness is not just about building economic and political power. Black consciousness deals with understanding STEM field, learning the past, and building up our spiritual power.

Thank you for showing the video Sister. 🙂

15. Epi says:

@ Sharon:

” As far as blacks are concerned, I believe they will always try to keep their foot on us because they have to always have someone they feel superior too.”

Yes, ma’am. I agree. Case in point, this is just ANOTHER reason why the “guvment” is allowing the deluge that we have seen for the past several years of illegal aliens entering this country. And, lest we forget, there must always be an under-class to serve the bourgeosis and unfortunately, this is the premise of white supremacy, to make black people THE permanent under-class, even allowing illegal aliens to [eventually] surpass legal blacks socio-economically. In the matrix, all of the mechanisms are being put in place.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, white supremists and its foot soldiers continue to scape-goat it’s social ills, economic failures, etc. on black people.

• alicia356 says:

reason #155 to stay away from whites and white supremacists of any stripe. Such evil wishes for us.

• Sharon53 says:

@Epi
      I agree with your comments. I wish more blacks would see how we are being marginalized more and more every day and pushed to the outer edges of society. But then so many of us are so busy being entertained and toying with our electronics, we just don’t care very much about anything else.

• Epi says:

@ Sharon and Alicia:

I agree with you both. But if time is utilized attempting to help other black people that are reticent in making the dire changes that we are faced with, that effort could also be well spent helping other blacks that see and know of our situation and they want change as well. But? We all have to put forth effort for what we feel is “necessary.”

Phazex_Female

@Sister Phazex_Female

We certainly need to use our influence and effort to constructively help our people. Some of our people will wake up and others will not. Now, the handwriting is on the wall. Gentrification, economic exploitation, police terror, environmental racism, and other evils proves that black people are under attack globally. I read about Afro-Colombians fighting back against racists, so the Afro-Colombians can have self-determination and human autonomy. So, this struggle for black liberation is a global movement. Doing something is better than doing nothing. I choose to fight. I choose to stand up for the principles that our ancestors bled and died for. The truth is on our side and we have the same goal, which is justice for black people.

• Sharon53 says:

@Phazex_Female
          In regard to your statement “but if time is utilized attempting to help other black people that are reticent in making the dire changes that we are faced with, that effort could also be well spent helping other blacks that see and know of our situation and they want change as well.”
          I understand what you mean but there appear to be so few of us that see and know of our situation and want change as well. One thing I have been doing over the years is patronizing as many black businesses as I can at least once a week and sometimes more. I try to be as kind to other blacks as possible but that can be difficult sometimes when you discover they are trying to sabotage your relationships, be it personal or business, in some shape, form or fashion. One thing I don’t do is try to bring harm in any way to anyone, especially my own kind. If I see someone struggling, I try to help in some way also if I can. In short, I just do what I can, but in order to bring about real change and growth, there has to be collective effort on our part. It is called team-work.

• Epi says:

” I try to help in some way also if I can. In short, I just do what I can, but in order to bring about real change and growth, there has to be collective effort on our part. It is called team-work.”

Agreed @ Sharon! And “team-work” collectively being the operative words. Thank you.

The struggle continues….

Phazex_Female

• alicia356 says:

I also agree that a reason so many illegals from hispanic nations are able to enter and stay illegally is because for white supremacy, they want them to replace us or push us down.

• alicia356 says:

Am I the only one noticing how obsessed Whites act towards us? I mean there are Hispanic, Asians, Indians but whites always act OBSESSED with (watching, wanting to malign and hurt, obsessive antics) towards blacks. I find this scary.

Also, I’m not meeting these “nice white women” that black men are claiming are out there. One thing white women who date interracially with white men are NOT doing is claiming white men are “nice” in general. I kept reading that online and hearing it occasionally in conversations with black men, however MOST white women I meet are racist.

So I’m not getting where all of these so-called “nice” and “friendly” white women are.

I’ve had awful experiences with Hispanic women, maybe worse than with white women. However, I am finding most white women to be racist.

• alicia356 says:

Is anyone else coming across these “nice and friendly white women” that black men are claiming they are meeting? Am I the only black women that is not meeting all of these supposed nice white women? where the heck are they?

@ alicia356

It has been my own personal experience that white females are just as racist as white males. And that they are VERY, VERY competitive with black females (aka envious) and this accounts for a lot of their antics with black males.

I have found the same envy and competitiveness with Hispanic and Asian females. this is NOT ego talking, these are my observations.

black females are a unique breed. Yes, we have our faults, but we have other qualities, spiritual and intrinsic qualities that females of other ethnicities lack. Perhaps, this is due to our higher melanin content and the fact that we are closer to the original woman.

Think about the way non-black females try to imitate black females. Sing like us, dance like us, move like us, use slang expressions like us, talk like us, try to be cool like us. Not that I’m saying “coolness” is something to imitate but I have seen it too many times to discount the FACT that many, if not most, people want to seem hip and cool.

Whatever it is, we seem to be a threat to the self-esteem of other races of women. Again, this is MY personal observation/experience.

I have often been shocked by the level of hostility I’ve encountered in Asian and Hispanic women but now I am not so easily surprised.

That’s why I advocate that black people understand WE HAVE NO ALLIES, and we need to take care of our own people, FIRST

All this running around and breeding with non-black people has done nothing but harm us as a collective and made us weaker.

Also, in my book, The Interracial Con Game, I have outlined the many ways in which white females function sexually within a system of white supremacy. You should check it out.

• alicia356 says:

Yes, I am learning as I get older that there’s something odd to White women being so open to black men, while white men are not very open to black women. A part of me thought white women were just more open minded however I wonder if there’s an agenda within white supremacy to have as many black men “in other camps”, so to say, in order to have black girls/women maligned.

I have faced competitiveness from white women in terms of on the job but in terms of me being a black woman, I have never found one to act threatened in that way. Only hispanics. The vibe I got from white women who were acting racist was that they just had a general race-hate issue.

Most I meet have that issue so I’m really wondering where are all these so called “kind, open and friendly white women” that so many black men online and in everyday life were claiming they were meeting everywhere.

• Sharon53 says:

@Alicia356
          Regarding your comments about ‘nice and friendly white women’ some of these brothers claim are there, remember that end of the day, women are still women, people are still just people. Everybody has redeeming qualities and everybody has shortcomings.
          I personally think when you hear brothers spouting this rhetoric that non-black women are kinder, I look at the reality. Those relationships end just as quickly as they start and the next thing you know, they have gone through multiple non-black women. Why is it that these relationships with kinder, nicer non-black women don’t last hardly any time? These women are no more kind, nor nicer than black women. It is just that our brothers seem to tolerate behavior in non-black women that they have no patience for in black women.
          I worked in law for almost 20 years and the divorce rate among black men/white women was higher than any, that is, if they got married. Another thing worth noting, and I have seen this before also, is when these black men get to the end of their rope, the first thing they do is run back to the black community and hide behind some black woman.
          Something else is I am beginning to notice is more and more black women are beginning to cross over into other camps, so if these brothers don’t watch it, they are not going to have anywhere to return if and when they hit rock bottom.

• alicia356 says:

Yeah but I find it rare to meet kind white women and white men who don’t end up showing that they have some racial issues. As for White women, many are them are hateful, so where are black men meeting these supposed “friendly” white women?

I know women are women and men are men, we’ve been taught though that dating interracially is better and produces better looking kids so some I guess believe that dating a non-black is somehow a step up.

@ Brother Timothy:

Thank you for watching both videos and commenting. I’m sorry that I’m late with my response.

I agree with everything that you said. It’s true that we should not be embarrassed by our past, and that we should not forget any part of it, the good and the bad. Other groups remember the pasts.

I also agree about people seem to care about some groups more than others. Violence against any group is wrong. People are gleeful about violence against Blacks. The killer in Orlando had all kinds of issues.

Again, thank for watching the videos and,commenting. Have a blessed weekend, Brother. 🙂

Good Afternoon Sister.

You have made great points too. Learning and analyzing our past and present is key in creating a better future for our people. The more that I learn about our history and culture, the more I realize how important black liberation is. Yes, the murderer in Orlando has many issues. He was filled with contradictions, evil, and he definitely was a sick person.

Life for our people hasn’t been a crystal stair. Yet, we are alive. We have a mind and a soul, so God would want us to our soul and our mind to help ourselves and help other human beings. We all appreciate the sacrifice, the courage, and the firm will of our ancestors. Also, we acknowledge many of our people who are working in their own communities too. We should never forget our past. Your wisdom is incredible too.

Have a Blessed Weekend too Sister. 🙂

@Brother Kushite Prince.

That link certainly is great Brother and funny. The media will never show a cover like that. LOL. That cover is totally autobiographical too.

• alicia356 says:

LOL. hilarious. you know they wouldn’t watch that though.

• alicia356 says:

SERIOUSLY Kushite. Thanks for that. I needed a good laugh. I have that page still open in my browser and anytime it opens back up and I see that photo, I laugh out loud. LOL!!!!!

• Thanks Alicia. Glad I could make you laugh.lol

@ John the Revelator

I understand your point about having an informed opinion but I have also come to the unshakeable conclusion that a leopard doesn’t change its spots. I don’t question whether they can “humanize” a slave, I’m questioning WHY they keep making black revisionist movies.

I could care less about the CONTENT, I question the MOTIVATION and I think black people must be on guard not to get sucked in by what appears as “good intentions”

We have too long a history with our enemies to be too easily swayed.

Certainly, there have been black TV shows that did not appear to promote white supremacy in its most raw forms BUT white supremacy was still the defining force in our lives

Movies and TV and entertainment is not the hallmark of black progress, it is not having black men, women, and children being shot down worse than dogs in the street.

I will not be watching it. Those who chose to do so, are free to do so

But nothing on that screen will change or save a single black life. That’s my position

(thanks for checking me out on COWS 🙂

17. I had some trepidation about watching the new roots reboot, as I watched it, I was pleasantly surprised. It was a human story of survival. In the reboot the characters were stronger, fighters and survivors. They showed african spirituality and not just the slave religions xtianity/islam. Roots was produced by Will Packer and Levar Burton. I agree to a certain extent with the comments, but you have to come to an informed opinion by watching it first. Did anyone watch/support Hidden Colors 4:The Religion of White Supremacy? In all area of black cinema we have to have balance. Hopefully the “Birth of Nation” movie won’t be white washed. Hope to hear you(Pam) on COWS in the near future, love what you bring to the format…

18. Austin Ellis says:

I agree with this post 100% and everything that it stands for. Black People don’t even own let alone control and engineer the resources that are specifically available to whites in hollywood. In the area of entertainment, black people will always be seen as inferiors and clowns and buffoons and every other name in the book that you can think of. To expect the white supremacist controlled hollywood to showcase black people in a positive life is pretty much asking for a death sentence. Yet this is coming from the same exact hollywood establishment who establishes whites as the kings and queens of Africa and even in most parts of the bible in terms of tel-lie-vision movies and documentaries. In the words of Huey P Newton: “I do not expect the white media to portray positive black images”.

@ Austin Ellis

Our enemies are crafty and clever and will occasionally throw their (black) dogs a bone with a little meat on it when the dogs start grumbling

But the dog who thinks the master who beats him one day and throws him a small bone the next day thinks that’s a sign that the master has changed his nature

is a dog that will be getting a hell of a lot of beatings in the future

• alicia356 says:

TrojanPam,

Someone wrote, I believe it was on this board, that Whites/White Supremacists see us as their enemy and I have come to believe that it is true. I had an experience recently that also told me that they were obsessed with us. Extremely DEMONICALLY obsessed. It’s scary and I don’t know how any black person manages too long living with them or working with them. The hate they have for black people and how they feel they need to hurt us is quite frankly scary and very toxic!

@ Everybody:

Here are some interesting videos:

The last video is about an hour long. Enjoy! 😀

@Sister Courtney

It’s great that you have shown those videos as we should recognize that we are an international black people. The black African Diaspora is a beautiful subject to study and learn about. I knew that black people lived in Turkey, India, parts of Asia, Pakistan, and throughout the world. Black people weren’t just in those locations by virtue of the slave trade. Many black people migrated to those places and some black people were indigenous to those lands as black people are the first people on Earth. The San people of South Africa are some of the most ancient black people on Earth. Many researchers have shown the genetic diversity of the San peoples. All of humanity originated from Africa indeed. The BBC documentary on racism shows how evil racism is and how racism was used by racist supremacists as a system to exploit human beings socially, politically, economically, etc. Racism is based on the evil lie that people should mistreat others based on skin color. It is about also a systematic situation where black people are oppressed in multifaceted ways. The documentary made the accurate point about how racism is linked to genocide. The Maafa was a form of genocide. The Shoah was another form of genocide too. It is always important to learn lessons from the past, so we can develop a better path of the future.

Thank you Sister for showing the video. It’s always great to learn information. Bless You.

@ Brother Timothy:

Thank you for watching the videos. I know that it was time-consuming, so I really appreciate it.

I watched the videos about Blacks in Pakistan, Iraq, Turkey, and China. I believe that have already watched the doc about racism from the BBC. All are very very good docs, and I agree that Blacks traveled all over the wirld, and not just as slaves, either. I’m glad that there are doca out there that tell our story more truthfully. And I agree with you about the racism documentary. That doc was very thoroughm
        May youHave A Blessed week, Brother. 🙂

@ Everybody:

In june, Kushite did a post showing the end of this blaxploitation movie. I believe that this is the movie in its entirety. This is a 1973 slave movie in which the slaves get back at their slave masters at the end.

Enjoy! 😀

@Sister Courtney

Thank for your showing the information Sister. There are tons of incidents where black Africans fought in the ships and used rebellions to legitimately defend their human rights. A lot of the old school movies that talked about the Maafa was more honest in showing the graphic nature of the Maafa and slavery than many of the modern films about slavery. Freedom comes at a price. History teaches us that freedom comes by sacrifice, courage, and constant resistance against evil. In other words, we have to use sacrifice, stand up for our principles, and use integrity, plus morality in order for us to be liberated as black people.

Bless You Sister. 🙂

Good Morning Sister.

I read the article. I haven’t heard of the Montford Pointers until today. Their stories are not just an important part of World War II history. Their stories outline the many stories of black life. Thank you for showing the article. It is certainly important to recognize that even in the military, many black soldiers suffered unjust racism and discrimination. There were no black Marines for a long time until World War II. The story of these black men certainly makes us inspired to fight for justice. These soldiers were involved in World War II where the Allied forces defeated a racist named Hitler. While in America, these soldiers and our black people in general fought against the same racism that Hitler promoted. They were involved in other wars too. John White and others sacrificed a great deal to participate in the military. They suffered injustices that many of us can’t even fathom to comprehend. We honor their legacy by continuing to stand up for social justice, in defending human rights, and in promoting black liberation.

Thank you for showing the link Sister and God Bless You. 🙂

Hello Sister.

The racists are certainly desperate with their lies. I find it ironically that neo-Nazis call themselves National Socialist when the Nazis in real life were anti-socialist. Hitler denounced Marxism, socialism, and communism in Mein Kampf. Also, Hitler supported the privatized corporations and the Nazis executed communists and socialists in concentration camps. Racists are sick people. Neo-Nazis should not go anywhere on this Earth without being opposed and verbally denounced. The Brother is right that these Neo-Nazis are big Trump supporters. It is hilarious that the racists were failing like this. I have noticed that the white racists won’t call the actions of the Neo-Nazis as belligerent, thuggish, and barbaric, but they want to call a black person every name under the sun. The truth is that we are very compassionate as black people.

Thank you for showing the video Sister. 🙂

@Sister Courtney

I agree with you about racists.

Thank you for showing the videos on Tariq Nasheed. That is why I won’t buy Hidden Colors. We can find even more information about black consciousness, Africa, melanin, history, the system of racism/white supremacy, etc. without watching Hidden Colors. Hidden Colors is disinformation by blaming black women for our problems, which is a lie. Tariq for years have shown his hand. The videos by the black women show his misogyny and him using racial slurs against his own black people. He obviously has a problem with black women. He talks about black families, but he married and has a child with a biracial woman. He’s a hypocrite. He has another Youtube video where he says that he wanted to have sex with Brooke Hogan (a white woman). When I found this out, I just knew once against how many fraudulent Nasheed is. The video of him glamorizing non-black women above black women from America is sick and perverted. He wants women to act as servants instead of human beings. He loves to use the N word.

Black women have every right to call him out. For years, Tariq has shown massive hatred against women. Sotomayor and Tariq are desperate and sick. A misogynist by definition wants women to be controlled in an authoritarian fashion. Tariq Nasheed (who constantly curses black people out with whom he disagrees with) has executed the exploitation of many black people for years. I thank you and Shanequa showing the information. Tariq embraces sexism and colorism. The women exposing Tariq Nasheed did the right thing in calling him out.

As for me, I will date black women. That’s me.

Keep up the Great Work Sister Courtney. 🙂

• Shanequa says:

@ Courtney H
      Thank you sister very much. The time has come for con-artist Tariq Nasheed to be expose.

@Sister Courtney

With all of the drama in the world, sometimes we need a respite temporarily. The video does have humor.

Good Afternoon Sister. 🙂

I saw the 4 Brothers talking about the Butler film Here are my thoughts.

First, a movie of that type especially was funded by the establishment in order for the powers that be to promote the myth that black people must express submissiveness to the system in order for liberation to come. That is a lie. The film was based on the life of the butler Eugene Allen. The movie got many things wrong. Eugene Allen was born in Virginia not in Georgia. His son never was involved in the Black Panther Party (which was invented in 1966 in Oakland, California). His son was an investigator for the State Department and never ran for public office. The Brothers in the film universally didn’t like the film. I agree with them that the Butler omitted a lot of the militancy from the freedom movement. The freedom movement didn’t just consist of people protesting nonviolently.

The freedom movement also included people like Malcolm X who advocated self defense and pan-Africanism (which I endorse 100 percent. Malcolm X was a man who was ahead of his time in terms of his analysis of the system of racism/white supremacy. Even Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. opposed the Vietnam War and criticized capitalism). Ultimately, many of the things that we got out of the freedom movement wasn’t done by bowing down to racist white America. Many of the laws that were passed (like the Voting Rights Act, the Civil Rights Act, the Housing Rights Act, etc.) existed because of resistance, struggle, nonviolent resistance, and self defense by our black people. The movie portrayed the father and his son as people going through the motions and the false message that the film sent is that black folks must bow down to the system in order to gain freedom. The movie also distorted the history of the BPP. The BPP included feeding children, health care service, ambulance services, and other progressive actions. Frankly, many of our people have acted subservient to white society and achieved not only no freedom, but more psychological damage.

The solution is for us to develop our independent power base and to use social activism to achieve justice. Also, we must fight poverty, misogyny and classism (as economic inequality and unemployment are serious problems in our community) in order for us to achieve liberation as black people. The film deals with historical revisionism as it ignored the heroic contributions of SNCC, the Deacons of Justice, and other groups who fought against oppression. It gives the wrong impression that bourgeois politics works when we need revolutionary politics. The screenplay of the film was made by Danny Strong, and the film was directed by Lee Daniels (who disrespected black women, scapegoated black people, and said that white people can call black people the N word, which is wrong. He also admitted that’ he’s a sellout in public). Therefore, the Butler is a propaganda film. We, as black people, desire courage, strength, and honor.

Thank you for showing the video Sister. God Bless You 🙂

@Sister Courtney

Yes, we have to struggle and sacrifice in order for us to have justice. Certainly, we can learn and grow by listening to others, reading, and living our lives in accordance to integrity and determination.

Enjoy your Day Sister. 🙂

• alicia356 says:

Why would anyone over 30 want to watch those movies when we are still facing the same attitudes and hateful behavior? If you are black and not dealing with it, consider yourself lucky and blessed. I deal with the hateful attitude in corporate america and when I’m on my own time I don’t want to be reminded of the hate and cruelty in this world as it pertains to psychotic racsit behavior.

@ Everybody:

Listen to this:

Warning — this video contains some profanity. Enjoy! 😀

Good Afternoon Sister 🙂

I have listened to the video. I don’t agree with Tariq Nasheed on many issues. I don’t view him in high esteem. The video made points about snitching. To clarify, we have to define what snitching is. Snitching is not exposing criminals legitimately. That isn’t snitching. Snitching is when someone does a crime or does evil and that same person tries to tell on someone in order to make that person to achieve lesser time (or a lesser punishment). The white person did snitch on Malia since Malia was dancing. Malia wasn’t messing with no one and Malia wasn’t bothering anyone. The white person wanted to hurt Malia’s reputation when Malia is a very intelligent black human being. I don’t agree with Obama on some issues, but I will never slander her relatives. The white racists are jealous of the family of the White House since the First Family’s daughters are working, having fun, and are living their lives.

The broadcast talked about other issues. I don’t agree with Tariq speculating on a black woman in the broadcast. That was inappropriate in my view. I do wish that Malia wasn’t in that party in the first place. I do believe that the President ought to expose the system of racism/white supremacy overtly, especially in teaching his children on this issue. There is the double standard that Sarah Palin’s family has many controversies, yet racists want to nick pick at Obama’s family in an inappropriate way. I don’t believe in speculating whether Malia is high (as Tariq has done), because I don’t get down like that. The white person sold the footage to disrespect Malia. Malia should be careful. This is part of the double standard. Whites can do many things in society that black people can’t. Black folks are getting set up all of the time.

The point is that we have to do the right thing regardless if we’re in public or in private. It is true that white supremacists keep secrets and they don’t rat each other out. The audio made another point. It is true that many white dudes in the hood acting funny are police informants or agents. I knew that when I was young. You can tell that they are a narc by the way that they act. I don’t agree with Tariq’s misogynistic views. Exposing misogyny is not about hating men. It is about hating injustice. It is a disgrace for him to joke about trying having to sex with Brooke Hogan. No pro-black person would lecture or joke like that. Tariq is the person joking and calling his girlfriend a “mulatto slave.” He has not repudiated his promotion of macking or exploiting women. So, he is a person who is wrong on so many issues. Many people who claim to be conscious are frauds. Many people are sincere in fighting for justice. Like always, it is important to expose the system of racism/white supremacy. It is true that many whites tell on black people and many whites receive lax punishment as compared to black people on many occasions. Justin Bieber being exposed is fine with me. We shouldn’t suck up to white people for acceptance. We have to love our own black identity.

Have a Blessed Weekend Sister. Bless you 🙂

@Sister Courtney

I made one typo. I meant to type: “…. I don’t agree with Obama on some issues, but I will never slander his relatives…”

Enjoy your Weekend Sister.

@Brother Timothy:

Thank you for watching all the videos. I greatly appreciate the time it took for you to watch them

I agree with e erything that you said. I also like to add that I heard that Lochte’s mother is one of those White Cubans, and we know how racist they are. He’s been passing all his life!

Again, thank you for watching the videos and commenting. May you have a blessed week!

@Sister Courtney

Thank you for your words Sister. Yes, there are white Cuban racists. Lochte’s mother being a white Cuban doesn’t negate the abhorrent behavior that he has enacted. He has white privilege in his life. Also, we are committed to stand up for truth and justice.

Have a Great Week too Sister. 🙂

26. Epi says:

SOME CIVIL RIGHTS SITES AT RISK OF BEING LOST TO HISTORY

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) — A once-thriving all-black settlement in the New Mexico desert is a ghost town that rarely appears on maps. Tour buses pass but never stop at a Houston building where Latino activists planned civil rights events. Motels that welcomed minority motorists along 1950s Route 66 sit abandoned.

From a Civil War battlefield where Hispanic Union soldiers fought to birthplaces of civil rights leaders, sites linked to the nation’s struggle for racial equality are overlooked, neglected and absent from travel guides.

Some states like Alabama, once known for discrimination and violence, are making strides to preserve historic sites. Advocates say it’s time that more states and communities work to draw attention to the sites before they are lost to memory and time.

The efforts come amid a demographic shift that indicates the U.S. population will be majority-minority by mid-century, highlighting a need to cover all history.

“I think generally we need to be more inclusive,” said Rita Powdrell, president of the African American Museum & Cultural Center of New Mexico. “There are a lot of sites that should be recognized and remembered because they tell our story.”

In Albuquerque, for example, there are no detectable markers for black civil rights advocate and 1950 Nobel Peace Prize Ralph Bunche, who attended school in the city. There also are no historic makers for David C. Marcus, an Albuquerque High School graduate who represented Latinos in landmark desegregation cases in California, including Mendez v. Westminster that challenged Orange County’s segregated school system.

Though funds are limited, efforts are underway to save some sites.

In Houston, a nonprofit recently formed to restore a building that served as a meeting place for Latino civil rights groups during the 1950s, said Ray Valdez, president of the League of United Latin American Citizens’ LULAC Council 60.

It was there that Gus Garcia and other lawyers met to map out desegregation cases, and John J. Herrera planned a meeting with President John F. Kennedy the night before his assassination.

“Previous LULAC leaders left it in bad shape,” Valdez said. “They hadn’t paid property taxes on it for several years. They hadn’t kept maintenance on it for several years.”

The nonprofit hopes to use the building as a community center and museum on Mexican-American history, Valdez said.

Not all states and cities are letting time bury memories of civil rights sites. In Alabama, for example, tourism officials invite visitors to experience such places as the University of Alabama’s Foster Auditorium, where Gov. George Wallace stood at the entrance to prevent two black students from entering in 1963. The students were later allowed to enroll after President Kennedy placed the Alabama National Guard under federal control.

In nearby Birmingham, the city promotes a civil rights heritage trail. Visitors can see more than 70 sites of national merit designated by the National Register of Historic Places in Birmingham’s Civil Rights District. Among those sites are the 16th Street Baptist Church, where four black girls were killed in a bombing. Statues of civil rights marchers are at locations of critical demonstrations.

In Oakland, California, markers highlight locations connected to the Black Panther Party of the late 1960s.

City officials in Albuquerque are working on a revitalization plan for the De Anza Motor Lodge. The empty and fenced off building was one of the motels that offered lodging to black and Hispanic travelers along the famed Route 66 from Chicago to Los Angeles during segregation.

New Mexico’s Tourism Department promotes the state’s Hispanic and Native American heritage, encouraging people to visit Taos Pueblo or Santa Fe Plaza. But little is done to highlight Blackdom, an all-black frontier ghost town that advocates say could be a tourism attraction.

The state also doesn’t have a marker in the northern New Mexico ghost town of Dawson, the birthplace of United Farm Workers co-founder Dolores Huerta. Recently, the Albuquerque Public Schools named a school after pioneer Latino scholar George I. Sanchez, who was born in the city.

New Mexico Office of African American Affairs executive director Yvette Kaufman-Bell said it will take a community effort to bring attention to these sites, including creating simple informative, tourist brochures. “It’s up to us to tell our own history,” she said.

___

Follow Russell Contreras on Twitter at http://twitter.com/russcontreras . His work can be found at http://bigstory.ap.org/content/russell-contreras .

The more we know….

Phazex_Female

@ Eoi:

Thank you, Epi, for posting thus stiry. I agree that it is very important for us to remember our histiry.

@Sister Epi

Thank you for showing the information about civil rights history. It is very important to know about our history and preserve memorials and other institutions that document our past as African Americans. The civil rights sites in New Mexico should be maintained and invested just like such sites in Alabama and throughout the nation. Also, it is important for us recognize the heroic sacrifice of black heroes who went the extra mile to advance the liberation of our people. Enjoy your Weekend Sister.

I agree with you and have a Great Labor Day Weekend. 🙂

27. alicia356 says:

I had ZERO interest in even seeing The Butler movie. none, zero, zip. I don’t think you could pay me enough to sit through any sort of movie like Roots, The Butler, The Help or any other black oppression movies. I am already reminded of racial hate in my workplace or in certain locations that I go, it’s no sort of entertainment for me!

@ Everybody:

Here’s an old documentary about the KKK:

Warning — this video contains excessive use of the N-word! Enjoy! 😀 (if you can :()

@Sister Courtney

The video shows the vicious bigotry and racism of the KKK. The KKK is a terrorist group since 1866 that has murdered, raped, and lynched black people for over 100 years. The documentary was odd in that it acted almost nonchalant about the evil brutality of the Klan. We shouldn’t be nonchalant about terrorist Klan members. We should be outraged at the Klan’s racism and terrorism. The documentary also showed rare images of the evil film Birth of a Nation that slandered the black community in horrendous ways. The CBS documentary accurately stated that the Klan was almost 6 million by the 1920’s, which is huge. This proved that the system of racism/white supremacy is all over American society. They or the Klan always use God as an excuse to promote their hatred, but black people are the original humans. Black people are the originators of human civilization too. Also, the Klan has passwords, handshakes, and secret rituals in acting like a wicked secret society. The KKK opposed the Civil Rights Movement and black liberation as well. In the end, black people will have total justice. The racists and their hate views will never prevail in the end. The documentary once again reminds all of us that racism and the lie of white supremacy must always be condemned, repudiated, and dismissed. Also, white racism isn’t just shown by the Klan. White racism is shown today in anti-black commercials, the TV shows that slander black people, and by continued systemic racism plus discrimination. Racism is diverse in its manifestations. Black liberation is the goal that we honor.

Thank you for your kindness and great insights.

Enjoy your Day Sister Courtney 🙂

@ Brother Timothy:

Thank you for taking the time to watch this video, because it is almost an hour long, and as mentioned in my earlier post, there is the excessive use of the N-word.

I agree with everything that you stated in your response. The video showed an up-close look of the KKK, but their attitude toward the KKK’s violence was nonchalant, like you said, and downplayed. Again, thank you for watching the video.

Here is another old video about the Black Power movement in the 1960s, and it was considered controversial, too.

Warning — this video contains offensive language. Enjoy! 😀

@ Everybody:

This is a documentary that was aired on CBS in 1992, shortly after the movie “Malcolm X” was released. I remember watching it at the time. It’s pretty interesting:

Enjoy! 😀

@Sister Courtney

Thank you for showing both videos about the Black Power Movement and Malcolm X. I will look at them. Also, it is important to teach black youth that the Black Power Movement is an extension of the overall black freedom movement. People talk about the Civil Rights movement and we should study about the Civil rights movement. Likewise, we must investigate the Black Power Movement too as it was a movement that promoted self determination, the beauty of blackness, and revolutionary politics. The Hate that Hate Produced put Michael Wallace on the map. Back them , many reporters didn’t understand about the NOI in an in depth way without understanding the conditions on why the NOI existed in the first place. The NOI existed in the midst of lynchings, racism, police brutality, class oppression, and discrimination in the American nation. Malcolm X was in the NOI until 1964. Afterwards, Malcolm X gained a more internationalist perspective on issues and criticized capitalism by 1965. Malcolm X was a hero. The BPP was part of the Black Power Movement too.

Have a Blessed Day Sister. 🙂

@ Brother Timothy:

Thank you so much for watching those videos. I really appreciate the time that you took to watch all those videos, and then commenting.

I agree with everything that you said about these videos. They were all very interesting. I believe it’s good to get different perspectives on such issues. Again, thank you for watching the videos and commenting!

Have a good weekend, Brother. 🙂

@Sister Courtney

You’re Welcome Sister. Yes, we should receive a diversity of information from many quarters. I appreciate your views too. We believe in justice for our people.

Have a Blessed Weekend as well Sister. 🙂