A Tribute to Dr. Frances Cress Welsing

Posted: January 2, 2016 in Uncategorized

No words can describe the personal loss I am feeling regarding the passing of one of the greatest black ladies and humanitarians who have ever walked this earth, so I would rather let Dr. Welsing speak for herself:

children are the only future

Frances_Cress_Welsing

Dr Welsing 4

Dr Francis Cress Welsing 3

Dr. F.C. Welsing

If we TRULY want to honor Dr. Welsing’s LIFETIME of work

We must pick up the mantle and continue the fight for justice.

We have to stop being OBSERVERS and become PARTICIPANTS.

Find something to do and some way to make a difference.

Even the smallest things, like an act of courtesy or kindness

COSTS YOU NOTHING and reaps SPIRITUAL dividends.

One way to start is by changing the way we SEE and TREAT OTHER BLACK PEOPLE.

Black Females– STOP MISTREATING OTHER BLACK FEMALES

Black Males– STOP MISTREATING OTHER BLACK MALES

Black Males and Black Females — STOP MISTREATING EACH OTHER

Take the Pledge of Allegiance For Black People

And END the MADNESS OF ANTI-BLACKNESS for our CHILDREN’S SAKE.

tumblr_nbj532wbdV1t2mjifo1_500

THE LINKS ON MY SITE TO DR. WELSING:

THE LINK TO DR. WELSING’S APPEARANCES ON C.O.W.S.

TO BUY THE BOOKS:

The huge price increase on Amazon for the paperback copy of “Isis Papers” is due to unscrupulous book dealers taking advantage of the demand since Dr. Welsing’s passing. Give it a few weeks and I’m sure the price will come down. In the meantime, here are some links to the book and the eBook version:

The House of Nubian is selling it for $17.95 (not sure how many copies he has on hand, you might want to email or call first)

______

The price for the Kindle version is only $9.99.

Let’s put our money where our hearts are.

REST IN PEACE, QUEEN MOTHER

Queen Mother Welsing

Dr. Frances Cress Welsing

March 18, 1935 – January 2, 2016

Comments
  1. I’m sitting here crying like my mother just passed. I am in a total state of shock. Thank you sis for the post.

@ hunglikejesus

You are not alone, believe me. It has been one of my greatest fears, who will take Dr. Welsing and Mr. Fuller’s place? Who will pick up their mantle and continue the fight with the humility and grace and power they have displayed for so many years? I do not have any answers.

• Well. Ms. Pam you are off to a good start.

• wordsworthjustice says:

Miss Pam…others, such as yourself, Mr Renegade, and many others, have already stepped up to continue upon the works of Dr. Welsing and Mr. Fuller. The WORDS are what is most important, in my opinion.

• Mariama says:

They cannot be replaced! Like the late, great Malcolm X and other dedicated black revolutionaries of his ilk, these two were put on earth for a reason. I know that our late and great Dr. Welsing is now with the great ancestors who sacrificed for us. May she rest in perfect paradise and peace.

@Sister Mariama

You’re right. No human on Earth can be like Malcolm X or Dr. Frances Crees Welsing. The Creator and the ancestors want us to be ourselves and show our gifts to the world (in our special ways). We can learn lessons from the past and stand up for real causes. We will always remember the kindness, the wisdom, and the grace of Sister Dr. Frances Crees Welsing.

Excellent Post Sister.

Very touching tribute.

I’m trying to hold back tears. We all love her wisdom and her courage.

Thank you.

3. enrede hounjac says:

I was blessed to attend 3 Lectures met shake hands with Dr. Frances Cress Welsing
    author of the ISIS Papers. I saw her twice in Washington, DC and just this past July 2015
    in Sacramento, CA.

4. This is horrible news. She was a true warrior. This is huge loss to black people. She is irreplaceable. Isis Papers opened up many minds and changed perspectives. I love that she faced this white racists face to face. She wasn’t scared of any of them. She will be remembered as a champion for truth,justice and liberation for African people. She will join Dr Ben,Amos Wilson,Harriet Tubman,Marcus Garvey,Nat Turner,Malcolm X,John Henrik Clarke,Bobby Wright,Betty Shabazz ,Khalid Muhammad and Queen Nzinga as one of the greats. Her spirit will live on forever. And black people are better off because she lived among us.
    Rest in Power queen. Your work is done and you showed us the path. Now it’s up to us to keep the fight for justice going. You will be missed.
    Ashe’

5. mike says:

I take the oath. I love her, i miss her.

6. kelley says:

Beautiful. She was a game changer and will definitely be missed! We’re lucky to have experienced her greatness through all of her works in her long, prosperous life.

7. jazz says:

SMH. I cannot believe this has happened. Now were left on the planet with a bunch of LOST blacks. R.I.P.

8. chuquestaquenumber1 says:

RIP Dr. Frances Cress Welsing. A beacon for all of us. One who never stopped fighting against racism. This is truly shocking. I’m glad I was able to speak with her. Thank you Dr Welsing for your time and lessons.

9. Alicia says:

so sorry to hear this. May she rest in peace!

She will be truly miss but her work will live on. I purchase her book “The Isis Paper” and read the book twice.

11. JC says:

I’m sorry to hear about her passing too. But there are young people who have great potential. I don’t know if you are familiar with a young brotha named Pharaoh Allah, but you can find him on YT under that name or on FB under the username Sandra Bland.

12. Ghostwriter says:

My heart is broken, because we lost a hero. But it’s her words that push me to continue on. She left us with the greatest gift ever. Her book.

R.i.p Dr. Frances Cress Welse. You were an Angel to black. You are in a better place now.

13. Muata Mosadi says:

Dr. Frances Cress Welsing Warrior of the War that is waged against black people. Words fall short in explaining how important you always will be. Heavy Heart

14. luke says:

i am deeply saddened with grief condolences to her family and all Black People w e have loss a true African Mother Queen of Liberation Dr Frances is still with us in our hearts and minds and the movement will be stronger and advance to higher levels of organization and awareness
    Black Love and Respect and Peace

15. wordsworthjustice says:

“This is a war…we are soldiers. Death can come for Us at any time.” – Morpheus
    Get codified.

16. I was listening to The C.O.W.S podcast when I heard of the possibilities Dr. Welsing was in the hospital. I quickly went to the Internet to seek out the truth, only to read that Dr. Welsing had passed. I immediately started crying and felt a lost that was unexplainable to me. I first heard about The Isis Papers at the age of 22 and went out to purchase it. I stated reading it, but it was not computing to the mind of a 22 year old, with white friends and no real understanding of racism. Fast forward 6 years later and finding The C.O.W.S and Ms. Pam’s work and The Isis Papers started to make all the sense in the world to me. I started to listen to all the lectures, interviews and read all the articles I could find from Dr. Welsings. 2015 was the year of discovery for me, while 2016 has stated off as the year we have lost one of the most brilliant minds in history. It will not shock me that in Dr. Welsings death, more appreciation will come than in her living days.

17. Miss Pam

I’m deeply grieved. But do you know what this means? We have to pick up the torch now and lead by tormented example. Did you know that Lucifer tried to take away her house from her? As you stated earlier, that’s a great fear for many of us. Following in their footsteps. You wanna know what saddens me the most?

It’s been 500 years and thousands, if not millions of scholars later and we’re still here fighting the never ending fight against Lucifer’s Children. Sometimes I wonder if this is just a bad dream and any moment now, I’ll wake up and say, “Oh! It was just a bad dream!” and continue on with my life as a normal, happy, functioning woman.

Here in my town, I see black people going on with their lives happy as a kid in a candy store while I dream of drones and bombs and poison gas. Neely Fuller is an octogenarian. How much longer will he be with us?

All the greats died begging us to wake up…stop killing yourselves…see the truth and realize where you are headed.

What’s next, Miss Pam?

How do we even pick up the pieces?

• Your post is a disrespect for a great human being who tirelessly taught what she knew to be true. Being born in 1935 and living 80 years seeing all she saw, deserves respect and high regard. This is not the the place to refer others to another. Persons here know the good work Dr. Frances Cress Welsing has and will continue to do. Less you united with us who know and believe strongly in R.W.S. as a system, then everything you believe fools you and keeps you in the white of knowing who your enemy is.

@ Purusha

I won’t address the level of disrespect you displayed by calling Dr. Welsing’s theories “pseudoscience” upon the eve of her passing

BUT

I would like to know TWO things:

#1 — what are YOUR credentials–degrees, current occupation, etc–in the psychiatric and scientific field?

#2 — What scientific research have you conducted personally that disproves her theories? For example, your thesis work, any published materials or links to the work you’ve done?

If you cannot or will not answer, I’ll take that as a response.

@ diaryofanegress

We have no choice. We need to keep in mind what she would want us to do. Would she want us to raise the stakes and really take this fight seriously? Or would she want us to mourn her and feel even more helpless?

Dr. Welsing has fought battles we can’t even IMAGINE. She was a fighter and I believes she wants the same from us.

Bottom line, black people can’t afford to give up. The war against us is intensifying and the casualties are mounting. There will come a day in America where we will have no choice. We need to give ourselves a fighting chance and the best way to start is by taking her work seriously is working on OURSELVES FIRST and the number one assignment is:

STOP MISTREATING AND DISRESPECTING OTHER BLACK PEOPLE

Until we do that– and the excessive TV and movie watching and foul music listening plays a HUGE role in the level of anti-blackness out here–we are only fooling ourselves by saying we are fighting white supremacy.

• JW says:

Let us not waste any more time responding to this purusha!
      This can well be a racist white person pretending, the best thing I think is to disregard such nonsense and foolishness, it is a distraction. According to Afrikan tradition, one has to highlight only the positive and up building issues, otherwise it is believed that the one who brings negative issues was involved/participated in killing that person. Purusha, go some where else with your pseudo-Afrocentricity.

18. Victoria clary says:

We loss a lovely woman who tried to in power our people for the better. She is now enjoying the sunshine.

19. gxarha1@gmail.com says:

What a great loss! I am lost ofwords but I know Dr Welsing would have loved us to take her fallen spear and charge foward.
    Sent from my BlackBerry®

20. C.Andrews says:

Thank you Sis Pam for your moving eloquent tribute to our Queen mother Dr. Welsing !!!
    For me it was a double whammy punch to my psyche- first Natalie Cole, then Dr. Welsing….
    Dr. Welsing has left us with a treasure trove of wisdom and knowledge for generations to come that our people can and should be able to build off of to create JUSTICE and counter this system of Racism/White Supremacy…
    I worry about how Mr.Fuller is holding up, I know they were very close.
    Again Sistar Pam, your Tribute also added a measure of comfort to my soul and I am still learning…. You are appreciated,Thank you.

21. Zinaka says:

What a loss! Professor Welsing was a formidable scholar and warrior; suffused with a deep, inspiring love for our people and an unstinting commitment to our liberation. Not only did she fully understand the insidious workings of white supremacy, but she was one of our most talented master teachers. As she transitions to join the pantheon of such great warriors as Dr John Hendrik Clarke, Dr Amos Wilson, Dr Ben Buchanan, the ‘truth terrorist and knowledge gangster’, Brother Khallid Muhammad, ‘Make it Plain’ Malcolm X, Queen Yaa Asantewaa, Queen Nzinga, Mbuya Nehanda, Thomas Sankara, Steve Biko, Marcus Garvey, Kwame ‘Revolution’ Toure – to name just a few, the best way we can honor her revolutionary legacy is to keep the fires burning. Long live the warrior spirit of Queen Mother, Professor Welsing!

22. Zinaka says:

The moment I read about our warrior Queen Mother’s passing, I immediately wrote and posted my first comment. When I settled down to read the other comments, I couldn’t believe my eyes – someone (Kushite Prince, Jan 2, 7:53 pm) had already posted almost the same message! As an African, I attribute this kind of coincidence to our spiritual connectedness – the thread that binds those who are still ‘here’ and those that have transitioned. It’s a concept too complex for the uninitiated. Anyway, that’s for another day. For now, I just want to add these few words: ‘Queen Mother, you fought a brave battle; we’ll endeavor to emulate your worthy example. RIP’.

23. Anes El says:

I have learned so much from Dr. Cress Welsing. I will continue to absorb all of her divine words of wisdom. Most importantly my duty is to live by a high code of conduct because without high standards we as a people are done!

24. jazz says:

I went online to get a COPY of “The Isis Papers” and the book is $100.00-$350.00 SMH. I’ve had the book before, I just don’t know where my copy is. I can see them DELETING this book in the near future. In about 20 yrs. this book will be IMPOSSIBLE to find!

@ Everybody:

Here is a good video:

@Sister Courtney

Hello Sister

Listen have listened to the video.

Here are my thoughts. Mainstream society will never give true respect to lack people who are fighting for he liberation of black people sincerely. As the video has said, when Marcus Garvey was forming black pan-African unity actions, the feds came against him (the feds even used Boule agents to slander Garvey and his movement). Even WEB Dubois before he died, started to see what Garvey was talking about while he moved into Africa. Malcolm X was a heroic man who stood up for black liberation and he criticized the Western imperialist power structure or its exploitation and imperialism in he wold. Malcolm X publicly criticized the war in Vietnam and he want charges to be brought up against America for its crimes against black Americans. The establishment (with its agents) criticized him greatly and he refuted people in debates globally. The system of white supremacy is evil. John Henrik Clarke was a legendary historian. Henry Louis Gates have shown historical revisionism involving the history of the Maafa and has he had his wake up call just like Lee Daniels (who has made anti-black women remarks for years). The slander of Dr. Frances Cress Welsing by white racists and even by some black people is not surprising. Dr. Frances Cress Welsing was a Black Queen in every sense of the word. The video made the great point about a person and Marc Lamont Hill attacking Dr. Welsing, but he or Marc won’t criticized Joan Rivers after she died when Joan Rivers actually disrespected black people overtly. The white supremacists have shown their demonic, evil faces for a long time. We certainly have the right to use discernment and advance more Black Unity. Traitors are traitors and they have received their Kama as shown in the video too. 2016 is a turning point. I’m going to study more about the African Diaspora and we will continue in this journey in fighting for justice.

Goodnight Sister Courtney. 🙂

Thank you for showing the video.

Bless You,

RIP Dr. Frances Cress Welsing.

@Sister Courtney

Sorry for the typos.

@ Brother Timothy:

Din’t worry about the typos, Brother. We all make mistakes. That’S how we learn.

I will not add to what you have said, because ai agree with all of your points.

Thank you for watching the video. I just thought it was interesting

Bless you, too, Brother. 🙂

@Sister Courtney

Yes, the video was honest and interesting. We learn greatly from each other. I have learned so much enlightening information from you.

Thank you or your kind words Sister. I appreciate them. 🙂

26. TheOriginalBlackWoman13 says:

My heart is heavy at the lost of our Great Queen Mother. *sheds tears* We must take up the torch as she would want us to. We must continue fighting the good fight and keeping the faith in her honor. R.I.P. Dr. Frances Cress Welsing. You will be greatly missed.

27. Mhotep says:

She gave us the science of melanin. Her work is complete. At this moment melanin is worth $384.50 a gram. That is over $300 a gram more than gold.

@Sister Sharon53

I have read he information from the link Sister. The cop involved in arresting Sandra Bland violated her human rights. This action is part of the police department trying to save face since they could have indicted the officer much earlier, because of his nefarious actions. I hope that the cop will be dismissed. The officer exhibited unprofessionalism and overt police brutality. The officer being charged with perjury is Karma. We have an epidemic of police terrorism against black men, black women, and black children. So many people have lost their lies as a product of police brutality. The memory of Sandra Bland should inspire all of us to promote Black Unity in a higher level.

Thank you for showing the link. Have a Great Day.

• Sharon53 says:

@Timothy
        Thanks for your comments and I agree with you when you state “this action is part of the police department trying to save face since they could have indicted the officer much earlier, because of his nefarious actions.”
        I was hoping when I read the headlines that someone was being charged with her murder as I do not believe she committed suicide. But at least they are doing something by indicting him for perjury. I hope he is dismissed and have to face some jail time.

28. Phazex_Female says:

Now that I have gotten over my initial shock at the passing over of Dr. Welsing, I realize, more than ever now, that a “leader” is in each and everyone of US.

However, as Sista Pam has stated, our people have to stop anti-black behaviors. I realize that it has taken 500 years plus for many of us to pick up and continue the “trickle down” effects of slavery and the only way these behaviors can be eradicated is by CONSCIOUS thoughts and actions.

Queen, take your much deserved rest. You definitely earned it. It is my hope and contention that I and many other conscious black women continue to heed your words and lead by the examples that you gave us for that is your legacy.

Phazex_Female

• Sharon53 says:

@Phazex_Female
      I agree with your comments when you state “…our people have to stop anti-black behaviors. I realize that it has taken 500 years plus for many of us to pick up and continue the “trickle down” effects of slavery and the only way these behaviors can be eradicated is by CONSCIOUS thoughts and actions.
      Some of us become incensed by the acts of another black person and there is absolutely no room for forgiveness whereas white supremacy attacks us DAILY, yet a “pass”: is given? So yes, I share Sista Pam’s thought that we must work on us FIRST.”
      Sadly, I have to remind myself of that every day because I see these behaviors all the time. I know a lot of it is we just don’t know any better but it is still nothing more frightening than ignorance put into action. Things seem to be getting worse with this anti-black behavior. Except for the people on these blogs and a hand full of people I know personally, there are very few truly socially-conscious black people. It seems we are becoming more defined by money and material things rather our people and collective history or even reality for that matter.

• Epi says:

@ Sharon:

I agree with you 110%. And…I think that in this new year, Spirit tells me that we will see and experience many, many changes. I too, see more and more “anti-black” behaviors in our black people. One of the areas that Sista Pam pointed and is workable is “conscious thought” or a pause if you will before one acts or reacts to a given situation. Again, it will differ from person to person, but it works. After a time, it WILL become a part of one’s thinking and one can better assess a situation.

Please keep me posted how you fare. Thank you!

Phazex_Female

@ Sister Sharon53:

Thank you for your compliments about Harvey’s Frances Cress Welsing video (I liked the fact that he did not use as much profanity on that video, too), and the links. Here is Tariq’s take on the White teacher dancing with the Black kids video:

@Sister Courtney

I have listened to the podcast from Tariq. He talked about many issues. He is right about the black judge standing up for his dignity and punishing a white person for using racist comments in the courtroom. The judge is doing the right thing. He is right that white supremacists are being bold. Back then, many gun laws were against the rights of black people. Reagan signed the Mulford Act (that the NRA supported) back in 1967 to prevent the Black Panthers to protect their communities. The NRA (many of their early members were Union soldiers) was originally only dealt with hunting and sportsmanship back in the late 1800’s. Today, they are involved in more political issues. I have no problem with law abiding citizens to own guns. I oppose criminals owning guns. We should each black people more on self defense, and survival actions since these racists aren’t playing games. I agree with Tariq on the extremist militia people in Oregon. The 1985 MOVE movement being harmed by the government in Philadelphia unjustly killing black people proves that there is a double standard again in Oregon.

Our taxpayers’ dollars shouldn’t go to white supremacists in Oregon and violate federal law. There is a double standard where black kids get killed when they carry toy guns like Tamir Rice while these white supremacists in Oregon carry automatic weapons and he federal authorities are treating them with kid gloves. The white teacher was wrong to allow girls to dance provocatively like that in front of him. Tariq is right on the teacher. If a black teacher did this, that black teacher could be fired, heavily criticized, or suspended ASAP. We need more STEM research, more building, and more enterprises than dancing. We don’t need to dance to learn massively in a school environment except for elective classes. Kids need resources, people who care, and love, and then kids would learn greatly. The white teacher did act as a faux “savior.” There is a system of white supremacy causing economic deprivation, and struggling schools. We want solutions to problems. Power deals with ownership, helping the poor, and building resources to help the black community collectively (not just the rich black people). There is nothing wrong with real music, but we need solutions beyond distractions.

Thank you for showing the podcast.

Have a Great Weekend Sister Courtney. 🙂

@Sister Sharon53

Good Morning Sister.

Here are my thoughts on both links.

On the first link, Boyce Watkins made many great points about being respectful to black people, especially black women. We have an epidemic of miosoynoir in our community. Just because a man is being nice to a woman doesn’t mean that this man is weak. It is a shame that some people want to glamorize vicious language against black people. This is a new year and there is no freedom in our community unless black people come together in unity and communicate fairly about real issues. The misogynists are disgraceful. No black woman should be called out of herself. I do believe that black youth need strong black male and black female role models or mentors, so that they can see how men and women ought to act.

On the second link, the story relates to the recent article shown by Sister Trojan Pam (about lack kids and education). The white teacher showing black kids dancing when we have serious problems of black kids being disproportionately suspended, public schools being closed, even qualified great black teachers being laid off, and other problems is problematic. Plus, the white man in the video is dancing around girls dancing provocatively and he is just smiling and pointing. That is highly disturbing and I have other words for that. The teacher is wrong and acting as an exploiter of black girls. I disagree with him or Boyce on Rachel Dolezal. Rachel is deceptive with her words and prevented qualified black people to into get higher education. Rachel disrespected and mocked black womanhood with her actions and with her words. There is nothing wrong with dancing, but there is a time and place for everything. We are black people and we can learn without dancing constantly. We have to promote more self determination. Black kids need to be educate on ways on how to fight the system of racism/white supremacy. We want empowered black kids that respect and honor their African heritage. That’s part of real education.

IN THE FINAL ANALYSIS, WE NEED MORE BUILDERS, ENTERPRISES, AND ENGINEERS. WE HAVE MORE THAN ENOUGH DANCERS. WE CAN LEARN WITHOUT DANCING AND WITHOUT the OBSESSION WITH TV. I have noticed that black people on debate teams and various other clubs (that deal with STEM fields) are rarely shown in public. Black people can achieve great accomplishments as it has been shown throughout human history.

Thank you for showing the information Sister. Have a Great Weekend.

• Sharon53 says:

@Timothy,
        @Courtney
        I listened to both Boyce Watkins and Tariq’s views on the video and in some ways they said the same thing, especially when speaking on the fact that we as blacks can do more than dance, sing, etc. However, sometimes I think the white supremacists have attempted to socialize us in a manner that we only use our bodies from the neck down, while they use theirs from the neck up. That is a problem and is also inhumane. Boyce made an interesting comment when he stated ‘what if you are the black kid who does not want to dance?’ I can relate to that because I can’t dance also. Back in the day, I shied away from going to parties and bars and was humiliated and told I did not have any “soul.” Not sure if you know what that means, but it really means, “I was not black enough.” No black person wants to be told they are not black enough so I did feel left out. So it is both black and white people who will look at you with disbelief if you say you cannot dance and think you are lying. In my opinion, it is a very socially destructive stereotype to think that all black people are expected to sing and dance.

Timothy, you are correct when you stated “The white teacher was wrong to allow girls to dance provocatively like that in front of him. Tariq is right on the teacher. If a black teacher did this, that black teacher could be fired, heavily criticized, or suspended ASAP.” Tariq did comment on that and I was surprised that Boyce Watkins did not make comments about those gyrations the students were making.

I did like Watkins making note of the school’s Board of Trustees being lily white, while it appeared most of the students were black. What a lot of people don’t know, and what I have been told, is that a lot of the HBCUs are in the same predicament such as Spellman, Morehouse. All of the Board of Trustees are white. And like Boyce says black people are not ‘driving the ship of this institution in terms of the money, leadership’ and the person paying the bill is going to be the one who makes the final decision.

Watkins appeared to try to be fair in his analysis of the situation, thinking the teacher may have thought he could connect to the kids by dancing but also felt there is a thin line between people seeking to connect with you to elevate you and to improve your life versus people feeling that they need to educate you because you are incapable of educating yourself. I like Tariq’s comments on this imperalization mindset of the white supremacists also. Watkins’ was so profound when he stated education is about more than just learning the fundamentals (the math and the sciences.) It is about learning the culture, it is about learning a particular perspective on history and things like that. And in my opinion, the only person who can relate to a black child in that matter is another black person who has a lot of experience and training on what is like to be black. Eurocentricism is huge in our educational system and it is a rare situation when you are educated by a white person who doesn’t somehow try to convince you subtly or directly that the white man is the center of the universe and the best that you can do in your life is emulate him…

There is bound to be a conflict of interest when the value system of the black kids collide with the value system of the white person in charge. Watkins used a good illustration when he spoke of the Heisman Trophy winner at Syracuse University. That young man chose what his white coach suggested over what he really wanted to do and that is participate in the Civil Rights Movement but his coach coerced him otherwise. In the end the white coach won because the person pulling the strings, or paying the bills is going to be the one who makes the final decision.

@Sister Sharon53

First, you have shown magnificent words on this issue. One of your greatest points is that you are right that we (who are of black African descent) want our children to be educated in a pro-African fashion not in an faux Eurocentric supremacist fashion. We want black children to love being black and to know their real history plus culture. We are black people and we can do more than just dance. We can invent, build, and analyze information. Many black people don’t want to dance. I’m so sorry that you were humiliated since you didn’t want to dance years ago. Some people can be so cruel and evil. I’m reminded about how we treat each other is a reflection of the level of our soul development. Therefore, we have to think right and treat people right, which is very pleasing in the eyes of God. The white teacher did act inappropriately with young black girls. No teacher has the right to exploit girls in that way (via an imperial fashion).

Black kids have great intellectual curiosity. If a teacher respect kids, challenge kids, and allow them to work in the classroom, then they will excel. The Board of Trustee being mostly white in that school doesn’t surprise me since many whites use black people in the front while white elitists have the major power behind the scenes of many schools. You have also made excellent analogies as it relates to Syracuse University and what Watkins plus Tariq have said. Being black is more than about one thing. black people exist in many ways and have a diversity of gifts and interests. Being black is a long experience of joy, pain, anger, happiness, and consciousness. Being black is about loving family, loving community, loving Africa (as our Motherland), and loving justice. So, if a black child learns about social justice mattes, learns about the strong legacy of black people, and honor the dignity of black men and black women especially, then that black child will grow in an excellent way. black children need to know about STEM fields from a very early age too. We have to view each other as allies. We have to learn from the lessons of the past, so our future can be better.

Thank you Sister for your eloquent commentaries.

29. Epi says:

“Eurocentricism is huge in our educational system and it is a rare situation when you are educated by a white person who doesn’t somehow try to convince you subtly or directly that the white man is the center of the universe and the best that you can do in your life is emulate him…”

And this is the crux of our problem. ALL races confirming to Eurocentric thinking. The most morally bank-rupt race on the planet and expected to emulate them.

Flabbergasted.

Phazex_Female

30. Sharon53 says:

@Everyone,
    Would like to know your thoughts on this short video, compared to the one about Ron Clark Academy.

@Sister Sharon53

First, thank you for showing this article. This story once against shows the society is on education currently. A white teacher dancing with black girls has been praised by many. I think it is very creepy for a grown male teacher to allow girls to dance in that fashion inside of a school campus. I don’t agree with what the white teacher did as we, as black people, are more than just dances. We are scholars, builders, and many of us are involved in sci-fi too. The teacher Barry Bronner was fighting another teacher on campus, so he should have been fired. Also, it is dangerous for kids to dance on desks as kids can be hurt by that. He also danced with other students. Overall, qualified, great black teachers still are in a microscope in how they conduct their lesson plans and their style of educating students constantly. This is how society is made in America. White teachers are given much more respect overall by society than black teachers (regardless of qualifications, educational skills, etc.).

Also, many black teachers were unjustly fired in Chicago, Philadelphia, etc. not for misconduct. They were fired, because of austerity reasons or budget cuts. Therefore, we should promote integrity regardless of how hypocritical society is. We should promote excellence and help the poor (as many of the black poor are poor by no fault of their own). Therefore, the struggle continues and we will have our eyes on the prize.

Thank you for showing the link Sister. Bless You.

• Shanequa says:

@Sharon53 & Timothy
        Thanks for sharing this information. I’m going to be honest music & dancing is apart of our culture but its time that our black children start putting effort in their education too help our race in a positive direction. It seems like ever 6 months or within a years, our black youth is coming out with a new dance that goes viral. I see nothing wrong with entertainment but it comes a time when we need to be serious, with all of this dancing we’re doing we are becoming a minstrel show. When I see that clip of the white teacher dancing with our black children it looks more like a minstrel show. Its like watching the slave master being entertain by his black coons dancing. While ever other race is doing constructive work to build for their future we’re still shucking & jiving.

@Sister Shanequa:

I agree.

@Sister Shanequa

I certainly agree with you Sister. Your words are related to the concept of a time for work and a time for play. There is a time for learning and a time for entertainment. Our history is filled with balance. In other words, we always had that balance to study information and to dance on occasion. There is nothing wrong with dancing, but we, as a people, are more than just dancers. We are scholars too. The white teacher acted like he was a “great white savior” sent to help black children. The white teacher acted arrogant to exploit the lives of black girls. The video was creepy and I have never seen a teacher do this to girls at all until now. Black youth have created new dances all of the time, because we have that gift of creativity. It’s in our culture. With the events going on, we need more construction workers, more inventors, more engineers, more doctors, etc. The is nothing wrong with dancers, but we are a diverse black people.

• Sharon53 says:

@Shanequa
          Thanks for your comments and I agree with you wholeheartedly. Yes, dancing and singing is a part of culture and actually I believe those are the only things the slave master allowed us to keep as part of our African culture. They did everything they could to destroy the rest of our African culture.
          However, I agree there is a time to be serious as I think because of our lack of seriousness, is holding us back. It seems as if we as a people have become addicted to entertainment. For example, it is no secret the unemployment rate is pretty high for us and we are constantly being edged out of the corporate world, but so many do not see it. I advise many that they can use their computer to earn a living for themselves but I get all kinds of lip stating they don’t know that much about computers. I beg to differ because most people I know have Smart Phones and if they can navigate around on those with ease and access Facebook and other social media, that is proof that they can comprehend technology. However, most of us just want to use those things for entertainment.

• Epi says:

“Shucking and jiving.” I agree with this! MORE focus on engineering, biological and physical sciences, etc. MORE “constructive” work on our race building for Ourselves, our own self-determination.

It used to be a running joke that Jesse Jackson, running for President in 1984 (?) would end up as a question on a Trivial Pursuit game. I’m STILL hoping that I am proved wrong. When more focus and seriousness is place on the latest, viral dance or the latest “hustle” (or job if you will)out there, black people? We have a serious problem.

That “shucking and jiving” is going to lead one right to where they probably started out: the poor-house.

Just sayin….

Phazex_Female

31. Sharon53 says:

@Timothy,
    Thank you for sharing your comments on the video.

32. Epi says:

“THE MORE WE KNOW…”

Date:

Sun, 2007-02-25

*On this date in 2007, the Virginia General Assembly voted unanimously to express “profound regret” for the state’s role in slavery.

Meeting in Richmond, Va. on the grounds of the former Confederate Capitol, The resolution passed the House 96-0 and cleared the 40-member Senate on a unanimous voice vote. It does not require the Governor’s approval. Sponsors of the resolution say they know of no other state that has apologized for slavery, although Missouri lawmakers are considering such a measure. Supporters said the resolution does not carry the weight of law but sends an important symbolic message.

Delegate A. Donald McEachin, a Democrat who sponsored it in the House of Delegates said, “this session will be remembered for a lot of things, but 20 years hence I suspect one of those things will be the fact that we came together and passed this resolution.”

Reference: By LARRY O’DELL
    The Associated Press

ANNIE MALONE, BUSINESSWOMAN ORIGINAL

Date:

Thu, 1877-08-09

*On this date in 1877, Annie Malone was born. She was an African American businesswoman and inventor.

Born in Metropolis, Illinois, Annie Turnbo Pop Malone was the eleventh of twelve children. Both of her parents died when she was young and she was raised with an older sister in Peoria, Illinois. She took an early interest in hair textures and during the 1890s began looking for a better method for hair care for black women. At the time many women were using soaps, goose fat, and heavy oils, anything to straighten their thick curls, often damaging their scalps in the process.

By the turn of the century, Malone had developed a variety of treatments and was the first to patent the hot comb (before Madame CJ Walker). By 1902 she and her assistants were going door-to-door selling her Poro Products. Poro is a word that came from West Africa symbolizing physical and spiritual growth. Malone used the press extensively to publicize her products. Malone founded Poro College in 1917 in St. Louis, the first center in America dedicated to the study and teaching of black cosmetology. The school employed nearly two hundred people and ran a curriculum that taught the benefits of a solid public persona-the correct walk, talk, and style of dress.

In 1930, after a nearly devastating financial second divorce, Annie Malone moved her entire operation to Chicago. Two law suits for liable by an employee and a St. Louis newspaper crippled her business and the federal government caught up with her in 1943. Eight years later they took control of Poro, selling off most of the holdings. Annie Malone died in 1957.

Reference:
    DuSable Museum
    740 E 56th Place
    Chicago, IL 60637
    773 947-0600

33. Epi says:

Commentary

THE TRUTH OF BLACK LIVES MATTER

The Republican Party and its acolytes in the news media are trying to demonize the protest movement that has sprung up in response to the all-too-common police killings of unarmed African-Americans across the country. The intent of the campaign — evident in comments by politicians like Gov. Nikki Haley of South Carolina, Gov. Scott Walker of Wisconsin and Senator Rand Paul of Kentucky — is to cast the phrase “Black Lives Matter” as an inflammatory or even hateful anti-white expression that has no legitimate place in a civil rights campaign.

Former Gov. Mike Huckabee of Arkansas crystallized this view when he said the other week that the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., were he alive today, would be “appalled” by the movement’s focus on the skin color of the unarmed people who are disproportionately killed in encounters with the police. This argument betrays a disturbing indifference to or at best a profound ignorance of history in general and of the civil rights movement in particular. From the very beginning, the movement focused unapologetically on bringing an end to state-sanctioned violence against African-Americans and to acts of racial terror very much like the one that took nine lives at Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church in Charleston, S.C., in June.

The civil rights movement was intended to make Congress and Americans confront the fact that African-Americans were being killed with impunity for offenses like trying to vote, and had the right to life and to equal protection under the law. The movement sought a cross-racial appeal, but at every step of the way used expressly racial terms to describe the death and destruction that was visited upon black people because they were black.

Even in the early 20th century, civil rights groups documented cases in which African-Americans died horrible deaths after being turned away from hospitals reserved for whites, or were lynched — which meant being hanged, burned or dismembered — in front of enormous crowds that had gathered to enjoy the sight.

The Charleston church massacre has eerie parallels to the 1963 bombing of the 16th Street Baptist Church in Birmingham, Ala. — the most heinous act of that period — which occurred at the height of the early civil rights movement. Four black girls were murdered that Sunday. When Dr. King eulogized them, he did not shy away from the fact that the dead had been killed because they were black, by monstrous men whose leaders fed them “the stale bread of hatred and the spoiled meat of racism.” He said that the dead “have something to say” to a complacent federal government that cut back-room deals with Southern Dixiecrats, as well as to “every Negro who has passively accepted the evil system of segregation and who has stood on the sidelines in a mighty struggle for justice.” Shock over the bombing pushed Congress to pass the Civil Rights Act the following year.

During this same period, freedom riders and voting rights activists led by the young John Lewis offered themselves up to be beaten nearly to death, week after week, day after day, in the South so that the country would witness Jim Crow brutality and meaningfully respond to it. This grisly method succeeded in Selma, Ala., in 1965 when scenes of troopers bludgeoning voting rights demonstrators compelled a previously hesitant Congress to acknowledge that black people deserved full citizenship, too, and to pass the Voting Rights Act of 1965. Along the way, there was never a doubt as to what the struggle was about: securing citizenship rights for black people who had long been denied them.

The “Black Lives Matter” movement focuses on the fact that black citizens have long been far more likely than whites to die at the hands of the police, and is of a piece with this history. Demonstrators who chant the phrase are making the same declaration that voting rights and civil rights activists made a half-century ago.

They are not asserting that black lives are more precious than white lives. They are underlining an indisputable fact — that the lives of black citizens in this country historically have not mattered, and have been discounted and devalued.

People who are unacquainted with this history are understandably uncomfortable with the language of the movement. But politicians who know better and seek to strip this issue of its racial content and context are acting in bad faith. They are trying to cover up an unpleasant truth and asking the country to collude with them.

Discuss.