Counter-Racism Economic Stop #3: STOP Committing Black Economic Violence – Part 1

Posted: December 22, 2013 in Uncategorized

stop_sign1

With the start of a new year only a week away, and black unemployment still climbing into the double digits, mostly black pensioners in Detroit losing their pensions, and black churches comprising the largest number of businesses run by black people (?) — it is WAY PAST TIME for ALL of us to THINK about how we spend our precious, hard-earned dollars, WHO we spend them with, and HOW we can use our economic dollars to enrich our own communities and put other black people to work.

I posted this article years ago on another blog and decided to repost it here. Since it’s fairly long, I’m posting it in two parts. More food for thought so please share it!

On Economic Violence

By Joe Madison

Have you ever received money from a Chinese person for anything other than them making change for you? No, is the answer I have been receiving when asking this question as part of an informal survey to Black People. The follow up question is, “Have you ever given money to a Chinese person?”

The answer invariably is yes. This imbalance of give and take is reflective of the consciousness of Black people and consequently our relationship with ourselves and others.

There is a reason why every Black Ghetto has a Chinese food restaurant, but there are no Soul Food restaurants in Chinatown. In fact, the most popular Soul Food restaurant in Harlem, New York on 135th Street and Malcolm X Boulevard is owned and operated by a Chinese family.

Again, there are no Soul Food restaurants in Chinatown and there certainly is no Chinese Food restaurant in China town owned and operated by a Black family. If a Black person tried, the business would be shut down, before it started. Why? Economic Violence.

Every group of people understands practices and strategically utilizes the concept of economic violence, except Black people. In fact the economic violence that we, as Black people, practice is economic violence against ourselves.

Economic violence is the art and science of using the exchange  of money for goods and/or services as an aspect of ethnic warfare, survival and prosperity.

The Chinese will not support a Black business over their own, because they are not interested in ethnic suicide. The Chinese are logical, as self preservation is the most basic of human instincts.

So not only will a Chinese person not support a Black business over a Chinese business, they take it one step further and plant their business in a Black community and implement plans to take Black people’s money.

This ideological posture is pure and scientific economic violence. Replace Chinese with any other ethnic group besides Black, and the picture becomes clearer.

The above is not a condemnation of Chinese, Korean, Arab or white businesses at all. It is a condemnation of Black people who have forgotten The Honorable Marcus Garvey’s mantra of “Race First.”  Every ethnic group has mastered this concept except Black people. It is in my interest to come from a powerful people.

Therefore, my interest is committing economic violence on behalf of Black people. That means purchasing a Black person’s service or product “first” before I purchase any other ethnic group or race’s service or product.

Have you committed economic violence on your behalf or against yourself today?

If you are a Black person reading this, I am sure that you are familiar with the notion of,  “I just want the best product or service for my money and a lot of times,  Black folks just aren’t up to par.”

My response is:

1) If that’s your attitudinal posture, then do not get mad if people don’t patronize your Black business (product or service) for fear of deficiencies.

2) Since when has the uncleanliness of a Chinese food restaurant stopped you from buying a to-go order of shrimp fried rice, or the messiness of an Arab or Indian corner-store, gas station or bodega stopped you from purchasing those pork rinds you love and a soft drink.

Have you committed economic violence on your behalf or against yourself today?

Black people:  Due to our lack of economic militarism, we are losing the fight for economic independence. That’s why everyone, and I mean everyone, “bangs” on Black people. All ethnic groups gain their financial strength in America by economically banging on Black people. This is how white people became wealthy in this world.

The European transatlantic slave trade of kidnapping millions of Africans as Prisoners of War was the biggest gang bang of all time. Chattel and plantation slavery was a continuation of this policy of economic violence. Since then, we have been left open to economic attack by every ethnic group that makes it to America.

Nothing has really changed, because the relationship between slave and slave-master is still the same.

Tastes, Interests and Values:  Stop Eating Pizza, You’re not Italian

The first step in perpetuating economic violence against a people is to change their tastes, interests and values to the tastes, interests and values of the invading culture.  Tastes, interests and values are the sole determinative factors in the decision to purchase a service or product.

This is extremely important as all products and services spring from a cultural landscape. Here are some extremely basic examples to illustrate my point:

(1) An overwhelming amount of people in America, purchase turkey on the third week of November, every single year. The turkey is an imperative for a Thanksgiving dinner. Thanksgiving is a white cultural holiday designed to celebrate white conquest and genocide of the native American population, but is masked as a day of family togetherness and thanks. The people who own turkey farms are white poultry farmers.

They are the direct economic beneficiaries of the values of this particular cultural holiday. If native American and Black people were the owners of turkey farms, you can bet your last dollar that turkey would not be a requirement of that holiday.

White people understand economic violence and under no circumstance would they allow anyone other than whites to benefit from a white holiday.

(2) This is the same reason why U.S. federal, state and municipal government cars must be American cars.  They understand economic violence.

Have you committed economic violence on your behalf or against yourself today?

(3) Selling beef to Hindus won’t work. The Hindu religion absolutely forbids the killing of cows as the cow is sacred to them. Therefore selling beef products to this crowd is not economically feasible.

However, if you are able to convert the Hindus away from their religion into say, Christianity, you would have not just brought a new group of people to the priest or the pastor on Sunday, but a new group of people to McDonald’s and Burger King, because their tastes, interests and values concerning cows would have changed.

A further examination of tastes, interests and values reveal that once you adopt or are coerced into perpetuating the tastes, interests and values of another group of people you will not only be committing economic violence against yourself but you will be committing violence against your health.

Have you committed economic violence on your behalf or against yourself today?

Comments
  1. AJ says:

Great Post! I have been looking into this economic question recently and my conclusions from the books and materials I have read confirm exactly what this article is saying. I urge everyone to read Amos Wilson’s “Blueprint for Black Power” as well as Claud Anderson’s books, “Black Labor, White Wealth” & “Powernomics”.

There is a quite promising new economic venture which has just been launched. It is an investment co-op called “Us Lifting US” and it is operated by the African Community Center in Atlanta. You can go to this link to find out more information about their proposal.

• Great suggestions! I have both books and they are very informative. They both give real practical solutions. We just need to organize ourselves and put it in action. We are not a helpless people. We just don’t have our priorities in order. This needs to change.

@ AJ

Those are both great book recommendations. Thanks for the link, I’ll check it out.

Our purchasing is much the same as our intra/interpersonal relationships – we put up with shyt from others that we wouldn’t dare tolerate from one another. We have a willingness to support others that we don’t have with each other. In addition to the cleanliness issue of many businesses in “our” neighborhoods – we continue to keep their workers employed while none of the workers are from “our” neighborhood. These are ways that anti-blackness equal white “supremacy” while the perpetrators (us) are not (can’t be) racists.

I know it’s a problem in many places to support black business because there may not be many, but in many of these bigger cities it’s more possible. We just need to engineer our tastes from the european product simply because it’s european. For instance, the young man who bought the $350 belt from the department store. I had a brother craft a belt for me – nice leather, African symbols – for way less than $350. The belt is baaaaad. I won’t lie and say I don’t have a Coach bag or 3 (from when they were really well made) but you’re more likely to see me with bags from 2-3 artisans I’ve been dealing with for years. And while some may say the items are pricey – because we don’t like to pay each other – they certainly aren’t the $2500 that the young lady paid at Barneys.

There’s so many practical items that we’re not yet supplying but for those things that were are – be they in a store or from a vendor or private business person – let’s make more of an effort. Seek out the different expos and Afrocentric marketplaces. It may take a little extra effort but in these economic times, we need to make that effort as more and more of us are having to vend or do our side gig full-time now.

@ LBM

Great points–and most of us (myself included) are guilty of wanting something and overpaying for it JUST because some white person has it or said it had value.

In a society like this, with the self-esteem of people under constant assault, it’s not surprising that we are using THINGS to make us feel good about ourselves.

Of course, it doesn’t work because to “feel good” we have to let other people know we have it, are driving it, or wearing it, or drinking it, or living in it.

A question we should ask is:

If no one EVER saw me wear this, drive this, drink this, or live in this, would I still want it bad enough to spend a day’s or a week’s salary on it?

My guess is that would eliminate more than half of the non-essential things most people buy.

I agree, we must change our mindset, or face the very real possibility of mass black poverty and wage enslavement.

3. Breeze says:

Please please PLEASE post part 2!
    SO powerful

That is a very great article. In people groups of the world, Knowledge of Self and Love of Self comes first. We have to know who we are if we want that economic justice that we rightfully deserve. We are black and beautiful. We have to know what we are up against. We are up against the evil system of white supremacy. That system harmed, raped, killed, and did other evils against our Brothers and especially against our Sisters. Intellectual awareness of valuing our culture is great too. Some black people view non-blacks as superior and view blacks with great suspicious. We have to maintain support for our people. Economic actions by us to benefit our community is just common sense. Ironically, the establishment doesn’t label Chinese or Indian owned businesses racist, but the establishment will label falsely any sincere effort on the part of black human beings to form independent infrastructure or businesses as a racist. So, we have the right to use our money to fund black institutions. At the end of the day, we are family. Also, we should not get caught up in following capitalism rigidly or even Communism rigidly. We should have economic development and economic growth should not be about worshipping economic philosophies. It is about enriching the lives of black people as fully as possible. Owning something, controlling something, and living in justice are real goals to follow. Yes, I will show this article far and always.

I meant to write: “…Also, we should not get caught up in following capitalism rigidly or even Communism rigidly…” That was my typo.

I agree, if we don’t own or control anything, we are little more than slaves who toil and consume.

And that is why the white supremacists attack any non-white nation that attempts to build a manufacturing or banking base that THEY CONTROL, and why black people will be attacked if we attempt to do the same over here.

5. I like how this goes beyond the slogans and emotional appeal into the practical solutions. I wish everyone would read this. There were two recent cases of African Americans being profiled and arrested by police for making expensive fashion purchases in the New York area. What many overlook is that one was spending months of savings on an Italian-designed belt, the other was spending her tax return, money she was forced to pay and admittedly overcharged for, on a purse. That’s a greater tragedy.

@ al-Qãhırıï

It is a tragedy that so many black and non-white people do not understand how self-esteem-destroying it is to spend our money with stores and people who despise us.

but that is what low self-esteem looks like and a desperate attempt to buy some.

Please share the post with as many people as you can.

This was a well written post in which it came with the facts. Just picture how much money blacks would keep in there pockets if they stop supporting these non black own businesses but support black own businesses. We as black people need to start owning & controlling our own stores to bring black economics, businesses, and jobs to our black communities. Furthermore we really need to learn how to manage our money, learn the real meaning of wealth & economics in our own black communities. If we can go out an buy expensive Air Jordan tennis shoes, and other name brand high fashion clothing and etc. we can put money in our own communities. But the main message is we need to think about race first & support our own.

7. This article is right on the money. I’m working on getting my braiding license and I had to go to an Asian beauty supply to buy some hair. I wear locs and never ever go into these stores because they have cameras up everywhere etc., so I ask the owner where’s the cheap 1.00 hair. She looked at me like I had two heads and pointed “over there” real rude. I gave her the 1.08, but she didn’t smile, say thank you or even give me a bag or receipt. Also, she had a young Mexican girl working in the store. The good that came out of this is that I swore I’d never, ever buy from them again and I found a black beauty supply to buy fake hair for the classes and for future clients. Also, we take our cultural gifts and talents for granted. When I was taking the class there was an Asian women taking the same class that could cornrow better than us sistas. Maybe they’re trying to invade the braiding craft now and sell the hair? The black beauty supply owner told me his biggest problem is that black people will not buy from him, they’d rather go to the China man’s store. They say it’s cheaper and a wider selection. I don’t think many of us understand economic violence, so this is such a wonderful article. Thank you for writing it.

@ blackgoddess0

That’s why I’m convinced that creating a black economic base is impossible until more black people understand white supremacy, how other non-whites function within that system, and deal with our own anti-blackness.

8. Miss Pam

Well written as always. I’ve tried to appeal to my readers and wanted to start a black bartering community where we totally cut out the middleman and trade with each other.

My readers never went for it. I traded my soaps for some African fabric with zero issues. It can work…but you must be willing.

@ diaryofanegress

I know you’ve been a big advocate for black self-help.

I’m not surprised your readers didn’t go for it due to our almost TOTAL dependence on other ethnic groups, even those who just got off the boat. And the saddest part is most of us don’t think that’s a problem living in so-called black communities where black churches make up the majority of black businesses.

Even talking about “black unity” gets a lot of frowns or shoulder shrugs, even while we are watching other ethnic groups come together for economic prosperity and survival.

Of course, those groups did not endure 400+ years of chattel slavery where their identities were stripped away.

We are still a SLAVE population that has not recovered from chattel slavery–absolutely not our fault, but it is still up to us to change that reality.

9. Mbeti says:

Another deep and informative post however when referencing dr.welsings work I see it as futile any attempt to effectively address our current social condition without addressing the primary culprit albinic/white group aggression and its motive as discovered by dr.welsing phenotypic and genetic inadequacy of this minority of our species.

10. JULIAN says:

I think Economic Suicide v.s. economic violence is a more accurate definition to use.

11. Adeen says:

Malcolm X thought Blacks to be economically independent from White America. I agree with him but I wonder if Black people would band together and be economically independent from White people. I would like for that to happen but I don’t see it happening anytime soon.

@ Adeen

I don’t see it happening any time soon for a number of reasons

1. the white supremacy system would use every weapon and trick in its arsenal to keep that from happening
      2. There is too, too much anti-blackness and white identification among black people
      3. at the present time we don’t have the resources or knowledge to make that happen.

But who knows what the future holds?

12. Greetings my people. Please go to https://www.FirstBlackAmerica.com and see what we have going on. If you are a Business Owner or Organization Leader, it is imperative that you list your information into our Database! We Promote Moorish or So-Called Black Owned Businesses all over the world! See you soon!

13. angel9loveu says:

Reblogged this on blog8057.