Little Known Black History Facts

Posted: December 6, 2013 in Uncategorized

I ran across an email I received several years ago about “Little Known Black History Facts” and thought it would be a great reminder of just a FEW of the contributions black people have made to the quality of modern life BUT have received little to no credit for inventing.

Understanding racism/white supremacy is more than RHETORIC. It is understanding the POWER of DECEPTION and the NECESSITY of CONVINCING its black and non-white Victims that they are so inferior that they NEED (and deserve) to be dominated.

And the “proof” taught in EVERY grammar and high school and news program and movie theater in this nation is:

White people  invented, created, and discovered EVERYTHING  worth  inventing,  creating, and discovering.

We must make a greater effort to ARM our children with KNOWLEDGE so they will NOT fall for the LIE of black inferiority.

KNOWLEDGE IS POWER

A very humorous and revealing story is told about a group of white people who were fed up with African Americans, so they joined together and wished themselves away.

They passed through a deep dark tunnel and emerged in sort of a twilight zone where there is an America without black people. At first the white people breathed a sigh of relief. “At last,” they said. “No more crime, drugs, violence and welfare. All of the blacks have gone!”

Then suddenly, reality set in.  The “NEW AMERICA” is not America at all — only a barren wasteland!

1. There are very few crops that have flourished because the nation was built on a slave-supported system.

One of the many photos of black share-croppers at South Carolina

2. There are no cities with tall skyscrapers because Alexander Mils, a black man, invented the elevator, and without it one finds great difficulty reaching higher floors.

elevator

3. There are few if any cars because Richard Spikes, a black man, invented the automatic gear shift, Joseph Gambol, also black, invented the Super Charge System for Internal Combustion Engines, and Garrett A. Morgan, a black man, invented the traffic signals.

traffic-light

4. Furthermore, one could not use the rapid transit system because it’s procurer was the electric trolley, which was invented by another black man, Albert R. Robinson.

trolley

5. Even if there were streets on which cars and a rapid transit system could operate, they were cluttered with paper because an African American, Charles Brooks, invented the street sweeper.

Streetsweeper

6. There were few if any newspapers, magazines, and books because John Love invented the pencil sharpener, William Purveys invented the fountain pen, Lee Barrage invented the Type Writing Machine and W. A. Love invented the Advanced Printing Press. They were all, you guessed it, Black.

fountain-pen-writing printing press typewriter

7. Even if Americans could write their letters, articles and books, they would not have been transported by mail because William Barry invented the Postmarking and Canceling Machine, William Purveys invented the Hand Stamp and Philip Downing invented the Letter Drop.

postage and cancelling

8. The lawns were brown and wilted because Joseph Smith invented the Lawn Sprinkler and John Burr the Lawn Mower.

lawn-mower

9. When they entered their homes, they found them to be poorly ventilated and poorly heated. You see, Frederick Jones invented the Air Conditioner and Alice Parker the Heating Furnace.

gas-furnace

Their homes were also dim. But of course, Lewis Later invented the Electric Lamp, Michael Harvey invented the lantern and Granville T . Woods invented the Automatic Cut off Switch. Their homes were also filthy because Thomas W. Steward invented the Mop & Lloyd P. Ray the Dust Pan.

Electric Lamp

10. Their children met them at the door-barefooted, shabby, motley and unkempt. But what could one expect? Jan E. Matzelinger invented the Shoe Lasting Machine, Walter Sammons invented the Comb, Sarah Boone invented the Ironing Board and George T . Samon invented the Clothes Dryer.

comb

clothes-dryer

ironing_board

11. Finally, they were resigned to at least have dinner amidst all of this turmoil. But here again, the food had spoiled before it reached the supermarkets because another Black Man, John Standard invented the refrigerated truck.

Sierra Exif JPEG

What would this Country (and the entire world) be like without the contributions of Blacks?  The answer is simple, if you look at the list above.

PLEASE  SHARE,  ABUNDANTLY  WITH   BLACK  CHILDREN  AND  BLACK  YOUTH!

Our children need to KNOW the TRUTH to SEE through the LIE.

Comments
    • Danny says:

Hey All, It’s so good and refreshing to be able to connect the dots and lay them out. History does not necessarily speak for itself. WE must continue to tell and push “our story. .Thanks for sharing this much needed authentic and powerful history. . I will certainly have more discussions around these rich facts. Stay Focus,

@ Danny

Unfortunately, “history” usually becomes “his story”

I believe the CRUX of black inferiority in the minds of black people begins with the LIES told in the schoolbooks.

• Barbara says:

What a great reminder of the debt we owe our black brothers and sisters. Thanks for sharing.

@ Barbara

This is the kind of history our children should be taught, which will NEVER happen in public schools.

We have to find ways to take control of black children’s education.

100% Agreed!!!! If we as Black Africans didn’t exist civilization will still be living in the dark ages.

2. mstoogood4yall says:

wow amazing did not know this. I will have to further research these amazing inventors thanks.

3. mstoogood4yall says:

Frederick McKinley jones invented the refrigerated truck, not the actual refrigerator http://www.blackhistorypages.net/pages/fjones.php

4. Mbeti says:

Reblogged this on Mbeti's Blog and commented:
    Another example of the contributions of black american inventors.

5. Mbeti says:

Its interesting how useless you read the works of someone pro black ,you will go through the entire american and european educational system and never Hear of any significant contribution by black people esp in regards to science and technology much less inventions such
    As these to american society.

Simmerly you rarely if ever hear of our contributions to world civilization and history ,many whites will say we contributed nothing and had no civilization prior to encountering european whites – which I think may be the primary motivation for what’s known as Afrocentrism , which is really just compensating for the racist omission of black people from history culture and civilization.

This policy and tactic has the effect of promoting and maintaining a general state of low self worth in how we view ourselves and how others view us while giving a opposite distorted view of white people ,who are seen as the default inventors and originators of everything of value.

@ Mbeti

I agree, so-called ‘Afrocentrism’ is a DEFENSIVE REACTION to white supremacist attacks on the VALUE and HUMANITY of black people.

It’s a shame that one group can only feel good about themselves ONLY by telling themselves they are superior to another group.

6. Brian says:

beautiful

7. Bebe says:

Thank you. This is great reminder for ourselves and our children…if they don’t know they will continue to believe the white lies.

8. TTNYCRN says:

Honestly TrojanPam, I love your blog. I love how you as a black woman speak the 100% truth about the dangers of white supremacy. Even though this is not an invention, as black people, we inspired other groups of people to fight back against white supremacy.

Native Americans- Red Power Movement(Angela Davis supported this also)

Australian Aboriginals had a Black Power movement that was influenced by the Black Panther Party(e.g. Huey Newton) in the 1960s and 1970’s.

We are indeed not a “lazy” people.

Keep preachin TrojanPam!

@ TTNYCRN

I’m glad you love it 🙂

I agree wholeheartedly, that black people seem to be the VANGUARD of many social movements, from white women’s suffrage and “equal rights,” to people all over the world mimicking the rhetoric of black activists during the turbulent sixties.

I remember reading about a group called the “Gray Panthers” made up of elderly white people who obviously took on the concept of the “Black Panthers.”

Today, you have immigration activists and homosexuals “borrowing” rhetoric from the black Civil Rights movement.

Even poor black youth are imitated by yellow, brown, red, and white people ALL OVER THE WORLD.

BUT NO ONE imitates poor brown, yellow, red, or white people.

NO ONE.

There is something SUPER special about us black folks, some of it good and some of it not so good

but we are definitely not your run-of-the-mill downtrodden folks.

which is probably why the white supremacy system KEEPS US in its sights and is terrified that one day we will RISE OFF OUR KNEES

THEN WHAT?

9. TTNYCRN says:

Well TrojanPam your blog has helped me as a young black man become a more socially conscious person about the sort of world that we live, a world that is 100% dominated by white supremacy.

Even though I was always comfortable being me, when I look back, I really regret that I had internalized some of the negative ideas about blacks and tried to “integrate” with the ideals of White America. Honestly, I get angry at myself and say-Why did I fall for that? I should have been smarter!Why was I trying to be some “uppity Negro” instead of trying to help my fellow black brothers and sisters.

For example TrojanPam, my mother is biracial(half black/half Portuguese and actually taught me about Huey Newton & the Black Panthers). My hair is sort of straight and sometimes if people asked me back in the day I would use the famous black people line of “I probably got Indian in my family”. Even though it sounds innocent and we know a lot of black folks say it, I now ask myself-While I respect my mother’s biracial heritage, what was I trying to prove by being “mixed”? Who was I trying to impress?

Anyway, thanks to your blog and some other conscious black bloggers, I now see how white supremacy affects us, other non-whites and even the non-human parts of this Earth(e.g. environment). I see how the white media likes to distort the true message of Dr. King and Nelson Mandela, who recently passed away. Finally, I realized your message is not about being a pro-black nutcase but being a black person who is pro-truth about white supremacy.

So TrojanPam, keep giving the life giving message to our people who seem at the undertaker(sometimes sadly due to white supremacy, it is in the literal sense)

@ TTNYCRN

It’s comments like yours that make the work I do worthwhile

Don’t beat yourself up, we have all been programmed from infancy and perhaps even before then via our parents and grandparents memories and experiences to think white is superior and black is inferior.

So, black people understandably adopted behavior and language that made them feel more valuable, such as “good hair” and “light pretty skin” and “I got Indian in me”

because we were taught that there was something wrong with being “black” or “all black”

when in reality, the REVERSE is true, that having MORE melanin gives you advantages biologically that people with LESS don’t have, like fewer genetic defects and mental disorders and the skin aging better and higher fertility rates.

10. ms pam I know this Is off topic but I just found out about this article and it is a perfect example of why we need to be mindful about where we spend our money because these people will use that money to turn around and hurt us. http://www.artpopeexposed.com/pickets_at_art_pope_s_stores_gain_steam_go_statewide

11. Petri Joutsen says:

Hi ! Im a white guy from Finland. I must say that be proud of your good and high merits and achievements of the black people. For example, how many olympic medals blacks have taken…be proud of those men and women in different sports. Also in music/tv/moviebusiness…etc, etc. Im a big fan of black music – above all jazz and blues. But remember this, its not only the racism/ color of skin which makes troubles between people, its really sad how much ridiculous hate and prejudice you can get to your face depending on that what religion, sex, nation, class or handicap you represent.

@ Petri Joutsen

Interesting that you focused on black “athletes” and “musicians” and completely overlooked the scientists and inventors mentioned in this post.

I need say no more.

• Petri Joutsen says:

Dear TrojanPam (…or what ever your real name is ?), you put here the list of black scientist and inventors which was quite NEW INFORMATION for me – I DID NOT OVERLOOKED these people´s merits and achievements. I just wanted ALSO TO RESPECT black athletes and musicians and actors merits too….because I really like them !!! OK, lets put here also my respects to black politicians, doctors, lawyers, teachers, single-moms, war veterans…etc, etc, etc.

Im just a metalworker (CNC-machinist) from Finland, and I quite well know that there is a word for discrimination and a life attitude against colour of skin – RACISM !! And there is also a word for discrimination and a life attitude against women – CHAUVINISM !! But are there any words to discrimination for that what do you think about different nation, religions, social class…etc, etc. NOT every Germans are nazis, NOT every Russians are evil communists, NOT every muslims are terrorists,….etc, etc. Use your own brains and keep your eyes and ears open…there are lots of shiiiiiiiit in the news media and internet and in people´s minds.

My dad was one of those over 300,000 Karelian Finns ( and Orthodox of his religion) which moved to other part of the Finland – as war refugees – after the Finland vs. Russia war. Many of these refugees had to start their new life – from zero – here in Finland. And they got also discrimination, other Finns thought these Karelians were – half Russians. And Orthodox religion did not make their lives easier. My dad – a wounded war veteran – had a Finnish name and he did not speak Russian language at all, but he had to forget his strong Karelian accent to get jobs and live his life forward. He worked hard, got married, raised up family and paid his taxes to Finland. Many of these Karelian Finns and their young generations are still proud of their roots and religion.

My dad many times said, it is just you and your attitude and your personality and what kind choices of life you decide to make – how many friends and enemies you can get – NOT just how you look like !

@ Petri Joutsen

I still find it strange that after reading the list I gave, that you brought up black entertainers.

Everyone knows how much whites “enjoy” black entertainers and athletes so that need not be said.

I also find it interesting that whenever black people attempt a discussion about white racism, many whites will REDIRECT the conversation back to how they were discriminated against

There seems to be some sort of collective white narcissism at work — plus a total, almost sociopathic disregard towards the mistreatment of people who are not white.

• Petri Joutsen says:

It seems and feels that whatever I – a white guy – try to tell my thoughts and opinions here, are WRONG and FALSE ?! Let me tell you, I dont accept racism not in any case. But what do you think, do even I (…with my working class backgrounds and open mind and heart ) have to ask forgiveness (…because of the colour of my skin) about all white racists/politician thoughts and acts ? As it seems how the young generation of Germans have to ask, shame and compensate what their older generations did to Jews in nazi-Germany.

I think that good self-confidence, education, safe living area, jobs, family relations, possibilities to make your own future are as important to – whether you are black, asian, arab, indian, eskimo…or white. I did not have all those myself,…but I have make my own life as good as possible.

You are preaching also about WHITE ECONOMICAL SUPREMACY on your pages and articles. Some how you completely forget the power of arab oil-money…? From Sixties to Eighties Japan had a very powerful effect to world economy. Last 10 years China have increased to very strong ASIAN ECONOMICAL SUPREMACY….and nowadays they are also robbing natural rescources for instance in black African countries. Perhaps you should have to update your net pages…?

Oh well, I hope that Old Earth still rolls around and times and also new and refreshing thoughts changes the world.

Best wishes to all

P.S. Here is an interesting news which I did find today: http://newsone.com/2777354/bill-de-blasio-chirlane-mccray-nyc/

@ Petri Joutsen

I believe white supremacy is a GLOBAL system of white domination/non-white oppression and has nothing to do with whether individual whites are rich or working class or poor.

It does not mean that every white person is a racist, but that ALL white people participate in and benefit from white supremacy via their white privileges. It has been my experience that the vast majority of white people want to maintain this system and pass along their privileges to their children.

In the case of the Arab and Chinese people, I am aware of the history of Arabs toward African people. That being said, white supremacy is the hidden hand controlling nearly every economy on the planet even those that APPEAR to be independent.

A good example is Japan — which is still a COLONIZED nation after losing the war. Japan has begged the U.S. to remove their military bases and the U.S. has refused because Japan is still controlled by their conquerors.

Most Arab nations are under the domain of European power, and are part of the conspiracy in manipulating oil supply and prices around the globe based on what powerful European and American nations want them to be.

The Chinese realize the European will never agree to a relationship of equality, that the European nations seek to BREAK China, as they attempted during the Opium Wars in the 1800s in order to form a ONE WORLD WHITE SUPREMACY GOVERNMENT.

This will lead to an eventual showdown between China/Iran and the U.S/Israel/Europe, which will certainly lead to World War III.

When it comes to Africa, the intentions of the Chinese are NOT the same as Europeans. The Chinese are NOT committing GENOCIDE in Africa.

They are NOT waging war against the African people in the form of:

– the TransAtlantic Slave Trade of 400 years which built much of Europe and the U.S. wealth
              – poisoning lakes and farmland to create starvation and drive African people off their land
              – manipulating weather to cause droughts and starvation of African people
              – hiring goons to rape African women and drive them off their land
              – cutting off arms of African people (like the Dutch did in the Congo),
              – importing food to Africans that causes death and/or sterility
              – infecting African people with biological weapons (like HIV and Eboli viruses)
              – creating systems of apartheid (which still exist today)
              – forcing African people to embrace homosexuality or withdraw U.S. “aid”
              – exploiting African children to steal money via “charitable” organizations
              – forcing Africans to work under slave conditions in their own diamond and gold mines which were STOLEN by Europeans

Does that mean the Chinese don’t have an agenda? Of course they do. They are acting in their own self-interest, but their agenda is not about totally DESTROYING African people genetically and physically and sexually like the European has demonstrated his/her intentions to do so for over 500 years.

The Chinese want to PREVENT the European from gaining total control over Africa’s vast mineral resources, some of which can be found nowhere else. It’s about preventing the total white domination of non-white resources because that domination will make EVERY SOVEREIGN NATION and its people SLAVES to that one world white supremacy government.

I have no intention of shaming you or any white person. I do not believe shame is an effective weapon against white supremacy. If it was, white supremacy would have ended hundreds of years ago.

Of course, you are free to disagree or agree and post your opinions here.

12. According to http://www.snopes.com/business/origins/blackinv.asp :

This summary of innovators and their creations is hard to classify as “True” or “False” for a number of reasons. First, it is flawed in its premise that if these African-American pioneers of manufacturing had not crafted the things they created, those items would never have been invented.

Second, the list is a mix of both accuracy and inaccuracy, even within single entries where fact and error cozy up against one another. While this compendium does outline a number of valid accomplishments, in many of the items the claims being advanced are overblown, crediting particular African-Americans with the invention of items for which they only crafted specific improvements.

Third, further clogging the assessment process is the realization that very few products can be said to have been the brainchild of just one person. Invention is largely the process of building on the technologies devised or improved by others, turning them to new purposes or using them in different ways. Therefore, many technologies don’t really have definable start points

@ al-Qãhırıï

I agree with your analysis that the list is a mix of accuracy and inaccuracy, and that most inventions are (probably) not the brainchild of just one person.

Of course, the white supremacists have NO problem making such false claims, most of which have been accepted as FACT and are taught in schoolrooms all over the world

These “white lies” have resulted in feelings of inferiority and inadequacy in millions of black and non-white people all over the world.

My intention was to counteract this relentless (and tiring) fairy tale of “white only” inventors and inventions with some black achievements.

I apologize for any inaccuracies posted in this article.

13. Adeen says:

I love this post and so true.

14. our people have invented great things. the song hound dog was originally sang by mama thornton but most people know elvis’s version. Charles Drew found out how to store blood plasma for longer periods of time and became the director for the American red cross blood bank. George Alcorn invented the x ray spectrometer. Garrett Morgan invented the gas mask.

Benjamin Banneker invented the first clock in the u.s.. Dr. Patricia Bath invented the laserphaco probe which improved cataracts surgery. Otis Boykin invented an improved electrical resistor which was used in the invention of the pacemaker. Marie van Brittan brown, a black woman invented the home security system.

Valeri L Thomas invented the illusion transmitter “In 1980, she received a patent for her illusion transmitter, which uses a concave mirror on the transmitting end as well as on the receiving end to produce optical illusion images. NASA uses the technology today, and scientists are currently working on ways to incorporate it into tools for surgeons to look inside the human body, and possibly for television sets and video screens one day.”

Daniel Hale Willams was the first person to do open heart surgery.

George crum invented potato chips.

Dr Philip Emealgwali invented the worlds fastest computer.

And Dr. Emmit Mchenry invented different internet domains such as .com, .gov, ,edu But the government cheated him and blacks wouldn’t invest in his company so he ended up selling it and “In 1995 Emmit sold Network Solutions to Science Applications International Corp or SAIC for 4.8 million plus personal and business debt. In a few months the government gives SAIC the rights to charge $70.00 per year for each domain name plus royalty on any other created domain names, the same request Emmit wanted. With millions of people and companies requesting domain names there was a bidding war to buy this new cash cow SAIC acquired. A Wall Street Company name VeriSign Inc. was the winner. SAIC flip the newly purchase 4.8 million company to VeriSign Inc for $21 Billion within a year.” http://mercxue.com/2012/02/27/faces-of-black-history-emmit-mchenry/

@ mstoogood4yall

I’ve dealt with Network Solutions for over ten years and I had no idea a black man started this company! Or that he invented the internet domains. This is the kind of info that our young people need to know about — not for bragging rights — but to help neutralize the LIE that black people are all brawn and no brains.

That’s why I believe selected black entertainers and athletes are so highly paid and promoted

so black youth will believe that’s ALL black people are capable of — running and jumping and throwing balls and tackling and dancing and singing and joking and acting a fool

Thanks for sharing this info!

15. Lon says:

There is no where to start tearing apart your home. As NASA reports, and don t unlicensed contractors
    ever let your home. I deal with all kinds of resources,
    while at the best decisions that could affect the Charlotte Chamber of Commerce
    for a firm or persons improperly seized. Properly sized and regularly maintained equipment,
    machinery, furniture and yourself to save unlicensed contractors money, and is also important to look into purchasing compact appliances.

16. I every time used to read piece of writing in news papers but now as I am a user of web so from now I
    am using net for articles or reviews, thanks to web.

17. Ashton says:

Please let me know if you’re looking for a article author for your blog.
    You have some really good posts and I believe I would be a good asset.
    If you ever want to take some of the load off, I’d love to write some material for your blog in exchange for a
    link back to mine. Please send me an email if interested.

Regards!

18. Elsie says:

Thanks in favor of sharing such a good opinion, post is nice, thats why i have
    read it fully

19. I just couldn’t depart your site prior to suggesting that
    I extremely enjoyed the usual info a person supply to your visitors?

Is going to be back steadily to check out new posts

20. Roxanne says:

This article should be read by everyone, regardless of color. It opened my eyes and my IQ.

21. […] I ran across an email I received several years ago about “Little Known Black History Facts” and thought it would be a great reminder of just a FEW of the contributions black people have made to the… Power of Black Knowledge on facebook […]