After the Trayvon Martin Verdict What Can Black People Do? Part Three

Posted: July 16, 2013 in Uncategorized

PART THREE

STRATEGY #6: THE THEORY OF NON-VIOLENT/NON-PARTICIPATION

Monica-Humanities-Bus-Boycott-Poster

NON-PARTICIPATION is the most powerful weapon we possess. We have the freedom to NOT PARTICIPATE in those things that demean or short-change black people. This includes NOT spending our hard-earned dollars where they are not respected.

For example, in 2007, at the biggest fashion events in New York City, Paris, and Italy, top American and European designers, like Jil Sander, Burberry, Bottega Veneta, Roberto Cavalli, and Prada had no black runway models.

“I am virtually never allowed to photograph black models for the magazines, fashion houses, cosmetic brands, perfume companies, and advertising clients I work for. Whenever I ask to use a black model I am given excuses such as, ‘…black models do not reflect the brands values.’”  — Fashion photographer, Nick Knight.

models of color

Despite the lack of black representation on the runways, in high-fashion advertising, and behind the scenes of the fashion industry, blacks have plenty of representation at the cash registers when we collectively spend BILLIONS OF DOLLARS on designer clothing, accessories, shoes, and apparel from white designers who DO NOT HIRE US — OR ADVERTISE IN BLACK MEDIA.

Utilizing the POWER of NON-PARTICIPATION, we would STOP begging (or demanding) to be included, and STOP BUYING WHERE WE CAN’T WORK.  No dialogue would be necessary.  Our CONSTRUCTIVE ACTIONS would speak for themselves.

A constructive (and self-respecting) response to the racism in the fashion industry would be:

“They don’t have to hire blacks for their fashion shows. They have the right to hire (or not hire) whoever they see fit.  They can do their thing, and we’ll do our thing.  Just understand this “thing” cuts both ways.  We don’t have to include them in our shows OR spend our money with them, either.”

The black collective would then spend our fashion dollars with our black designers and turn their wonderful creations into OUR fashion status symbols.  To take a page out of the white economic book, non-black designers could participate ONLY if they hire blacks and advertise in black-owned media.

boycott poster 2

We would REFUSE to PARTICIPATE or SUPPORT ANY people, places, and things that do not respect our dollars, and START CIRCULATING those precious dollars in our own communities.

black unity is POWER

do not buy in north carolina

black unity is powerful

Stevie Wonder Boycotts Florida Over George Zimmerman Acquittal

stevie-wonder

black unity is powerful

The entertainment industry has spoken in virtual unison regarding the acquittal of George Zimmerman in the murder of Florida teen Trayvon Martin, branding the decision an American injustice.

Now, one singer is taking that outrage to the next level.

Stevie Wonder announced that he will not be performing in Florida where the not guilty verdict was rendered, specifically citing the state’s “stand your ground” law which some say played a role in the verdict.

In the wake of the George Zimmerman acquittal, the singer said he would not be performing in the Sunshine State until its Stand Your Ground law is “abolished.” He also said he would not be performing in any other state that recognizes the law, which some say contributed to Zimmerman’s acquittal in the shooting death of Florida teen Trayvon Martin on Feb. 26, 2012….

The truth is that — for those of you who’ve lost in the battle for justice, wherever that fits in any part of the world — we can’t bring them back,” he said. “What we can do is we can let our voices be heard. And we can vote in our various countries throughout the world for change and equality for everybody. That’s what I know we can do.

black unity is POWER

STRATEGY #7: MINIMIZE CONTACT,  MINIMIZE CONFLICT  at home,  at work,  in public,  and at all places.

no offense

Avoid unnecessary contact with people who seek conflict with you.  The powers-that-be use conflict to divide and conquer the black male and female.

According to the “United Independent Compensatory Code/System/Concept” by Neely Fuller, Jr., there are Ten Basic Stops that help to eliminate Racism and produce Justice for all Victims of Racism:

1. Stop Snitching (to get ahead of someone else)
  2. Stop Name-Calling (describe what a person does or says rather than calling them a name. For example, instead of calling a person a “liar,” repeat what they said and say that what was said was “not true.”
  3. Stop “Cursing” (because it is insulting and demeaning, and promotes conflict, hostility, and violence).
  4. Stop Gossiping (saying something ABOUT a person that we would not be willing to say directly to that person with others listening).
  5. Stop Being Discourteous (showing a lack of consideration or acting or speaking in such a way that shows little to no regard for how others will be affected).
  6. Stop Stealing (because it promotes injustice and places a greater value on “things” than on people or justice).
  7. Stop Robbing (using the threat of bodily harm to take something from another person that does not belong to you promotes injustice).
  8. Stop Fighting (if people cannot talk in a way that minimizes conflict, they should avoid contact with each other. No contact, no conflict).
  9. Stop Killing (except in direct defense of self, others, and/or major property, it is best to avoid killing or maiming another person).
  10. Stop Squabbling Among Yourselves And Asking Racists (White Supremacists) To Settle Your Problems (because racists often create situations where blacks are encouraged to squabble among themselves. Racists do not approve of black people solving heir own problems among ourselves without the so-called “help” of the WHITE PEOPLE IN CHARGE who created the problems in the first place because that does not promote White Supremacy.
black unity is POWER
Minimize Conflict.  No contact; no conflict.

black unity is POWER

Minimize Conflict By Minimizing Contact  by Neely Fuller, Jr.

download link

Minimize Conflict By Minimizing Contact Quick Quote  by Neely Fuller, Jr.

download link

For more Neely Fuller, Jr. sound clips and info

END OF PART TWO BOOK EXCERPT

(Excerpt from the book,  “Black Love Is A Revolutionary Act” )

blacklovecover225w

(After the Trayvon Martin Verdict What Can Black People Do?  Part One)

(After the Trayvon Martin Verdict What Can Black People Do?  Part Two)

Comments
  1. Tonia says:

I thoroughly agree that in the 21st century protests will not get attention as much withholding our economics base. Money talks.

@ Tonia

Not spending our money were we are being disrespected is EMPOWERING OURSELVES and showing self-respect. Something that our youngest people need to see and imitate

2. Breeze says:

How can we get ALL black folks to understand this economic strife that has us in such a chokehold.
    I know that we won’t be able to get all of us on board, at one this year, or even this decade…we’ll definitely lose a few along the way who prefer to stay sleep.

Where did the integrity of the community go!? When I first seen the old signage from the old Alabama Boycotts at the top of the page, I literally thought to myself “Damn, how many people, black people, AND those old ‘integrationists’ actually PARTICIPATED”. You put a sign up like that now days, black folks just walk on by. To most of us, especially my generation, protesting seems like something for white people. The whole #occupy movement for example, though some blacks were involved, it was purely inclusive of young whites, who were pretentious because of their superior knowledge of the “system” and was relatively disorganized.

What kind of frenzy do we have to ensue, what kind of rage do we have to feel to gather and organize ARAB SPRING STYLE. I’ve done a good bit of research on the contemporary middle eastern uprisings, and the sentiments of the opposing Islamic extremes are almost as ancient as the religion itself– Palestinians have NEVER forgotten, Islamists want to take over AGAIN, they despise Western hegemony and want it OUT, so they organize the most efficient parties they can to uproot those corrupt leaders as fast as they can. I’m truly inspiring and exhilarating because I envy their HONOR. I didn’t cite specific groups because I necessarily agree with their plight or ideology, it’s just that collectively, they’re fighting, and that’s amazing.

How can we gather Brazilian style, a 1 million ++ outright revolt. I’m not trying to incite a riot per se, but it’s gonna take some bloodshed. If other oppressed minorities across the globe can do it then why can’t we!

(I’m sorry back to your post point)

How can we educate the majority of blacks on the importance of resisting the self hate that comes with gobbling up these white brands! Without going too deep into economics, on the most basic levels how can we start a widespread protest demonstrating the collective power of our dollar…

(Funny side tangent, it’s so bad in our community that growing up I literally thought that Tommy Hilfiger was for and BY Black people cause that’s all I saw on BET.)

@ Breeze

who asked, “How can we educate the majority of blacks on the importance of resisting the self hate that comes with gobbling up these white brands! Without going too deep into economics, on the most basic levels how can we start a widespread protest demonstrating the collective power of our dollar.”
      —-

Good question, Breeze, and to be honest, I don’t know if we can get the majority. From what I’ve seen, most people hang back until the minority “tests the waters” and then when they feel it’s safe, might come out to support each other. I accept that MOST won’t do anything, but that’s true of all movements, regardless of who is leading them

I think the best way is to BE the example, to BE the role model, to BE a LEADER OF ONE. Other people are watching all of us some of the time, and you never know who you are influencing by your NEW, SELF-RESPECTING BEHAVIOR, and those people may never say a word to you, but the next thing you know they’re repeating things you’ve said, or wearing their natural hair, or doing something new that they didn’t do before

I think black people are RIPE for change, I think many of us have become disenchanted with the current system and are realizing that we need a new direction.

I will continue to post suggestions and I think among those suggestions are things we can do that will empower us and by sharing those suggestions and discussing them AND coming up with your own, we can EFFECT CHANGE.

3. A.Shabazz says:

Greetings comrades…can anyone give me some constructive advice based on an issue im experiencing on my job?

• AJ says:

I totally agree with this post! I think we should start by boycotting Skittles and Arizona ice teas and Trayvon Martin protest rallies!

@ AJ

Actually, some bloggers are planning to write posts on the same day promoting a boycott of products made in Florida, also vacationing in Florida. I’m in favor of ANYTHING that keeps our money in our pockets and OUT of the hands of those who disrespect and mistreat us. Definitely!

• Lumumba Afrika says:

Oops, I meant to say “at Trayvon Martin protests rallies” not “and”. Be that as it may, I haven’t seen how these protests have been constructive in making a significant counter-attack to the system and ideology of white supremacy. However, I do support boycotting Florida.as a vacation destination as well as the products made there. We should’ve been doing that since the 2000 US presidential election!

@ Lumumba Afrika

I agree, protests and marching do NOTHING to solve our problems, that’s why the white supremacy system TOLERATES — and even ENCOURAGES them, and allows the prominent blacks on their payroll (like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton) to participate and encourage them

I have mixed feelings on boycotting, and don’t think it’s entirely realistic as a strategy although I think it’s better than marching, but I think boycotting has to be more focused to work, like the Montgomery Boycott focused on one agenda, desegregating buses, and led to other activities. But boycotting everything in Florida that’s made there? How does one do that? Most products on store shelves are made in China! And what about the black people who WORK in Florida? What effect on black employment will that have? And in the end, the boycott will pass with time and what would we have accomplished?

I think the mistake we’ve made over the last five decades has been to focus on white people, meaning, whites become the focal point, the reference, as we ask, beg, demand, and plead for them to do something (like change)

Now, I think it’s time for US to change what we say, do, and think, and instead of announcing it, we just DO IT.

Just some random thoughts that have to gell over the next several days.

@ A. Shabazz

would you like to share your experiences here? Please feel welcome to do so

4. Miss Pam:

Last year, I wrote post after post BEGGING black people to shop in black only stores during the holidays. I BEGGED us to LEAVE WHITE PEOPLE ALONE and NOT to spend money in their shops, restaurants and in on-line commerce.

I wrote post and after post BEGGING us to keep money in our communities only and grow our own wealth. I organized, or tried to organize Sankofa, a black-only business site where we shop and spend money only with each other.

I BEGGED and BEGGED and BEGGED.

You know what happened?

They ignored me.

@ diaryofanegress

I know (sigh)

I think it’s the WHITE CHIP in our heads that controls our behavior. I’ve experienced that TUG many times myself, the desire to please and appease whites, the desire to betray other black people to gain the favor of whites, the lack of desire to “shop black,” etc

I think we better NOT underestimate the programming that NOT only follows us from cradle to grave, BUT was actually passed along via our slave and racial memories

This brain trashing was some powerfully horrible stuff

I’ve come to accept that no matter what we or anyone else does, the majority of black people are going to remain passive UNTIL our backs are pressed flat against the wall and there is NOWHERE ELSE TO GO BUT FORWARD

until then, I try to plant seeds where I can, swallow my frustration, and keep it moving

5. mstoogood4yall says:

On point ms pam. When I see stuff where black ppl are excluded I think well they will not get my business but I know some who are asleep will not care and will shop wherever. THat is great stevie wonder is leaving florida alone and took it a step further and is boycotting all states with syg laws. Black ppl should take note of everyone who is a black celebrity that hasn’t said or done anything about this. Then don’t buy their music or attend their concerts nor should they go to their movies. I can’t help but feel like how can ppl say they don’t like something or how someone treats them,yet they give that person money to continue to mistreat them. Makes no sense. That would be like giving money to drug addicts and saying u know I wish u wouldn’t mistreat me and steal money from me but here’s 10 bucks enjoy. We need to stop hoping and wishing and start doing. Even if it is small, like buying hair products, soaps, lotions from other blacks even if we can’t get groceries and and things from them but try to buy what u can.

@ mstoogood4yall

we are still a captive, validation and identity seeking people who descended from the worst form of slavery in human recorded history. I think there are many things we must do to throw off the shackles of white- MIS-IDENTIFICATION
      and one of them is to address our SLAVE NAMES and SLAVE RELIGIONS.

We CANNOT BE PSYCHOLOGICALLY FREE UNTIL WE CAST OFF THE CHAINS OF FALSE IDOL WORSHIP AND CARRYING ON OUR SLAVE LEGACY VIA OUR NAMES

most people have no idea how POWERFUL a name is, and how our NAMES WED US to our slave owners and slave traditions.

I am seriously considering changing my birth name. I am not SCOTTISH, nor am I white. I never really practiced any slave religions after I reached legal age and I will NEVER, EVER practice them again.

I ABSOLUTELY REFUSE to worship a WHITE Jesus or a WHITE God via the Christian traditions taught to my slave ancestors

OK, here’s a list of three things black people need to stop doing

1. stop passing our slave names to our children (meaning we must change our names to reflect our true origins)
      2. stop practicing the slave religions that our slave-owners taught us (after forbidding us to practice our original religions. Wonder why???)
      3. stop having sex with white people

if we did those three things, collectively, we would see a HUGE UPRISING OF SPIRITUAL ENERGY that would shock and thrill us

in fact, I might do a blog on this!

• mstoogood4yall says:

THat would be wonderful. This brotha his blog is called wordod here’s the link. http://www.wordod.com/whtopics-sir-slave-name/. He talks about last names and he said he is changing his to havmire. Idk if i’d be able to do that, I mean if/when I get married i’ll have to take another man’s name, but yes it would be good to have a different last name, but its also the added thing of family members particularly fathers feeling betrayed. I do believe in a higher power, but I do see how the black churches are, they prosper while the surrounding neighborhood falls. Instead of using the money they get on sundays to improve the neighborhood or buy some stores they go build another church smh.

@ mstoogood4yall

Today’s black churches are really a carryover from our SLAVE TRADITIONS because we are still practicing the SAME SLAVE RELIGIONS that the white slave-owners gave us

Until we stop practicing our slave traditions, we will not be able to overcome our oppression.

6. […] After the Trayvon Martin Verdict What Can Black People Do? Part Three […]

7. […] After the Trayvon Martin Verdict What Can Black People Do? Part Three […]

8. Thanks Pam. I made it halfway. Strategy 7 will still be here tomorrow. I am all for boycott. I have been doing as much for quite a long time now. White Pete has to PAY me to spend money on his poison. (Clearly, organic food, filtered water, housing, electricity, Internet and WordPress are excluded.) As long as we can look at white people and covet what they have, they do not need us as models. They know that we will spend money on their poison regardless. We are not going to spend more if they comply to the wishes of what the consider ‘a few’. Instead, it is up to us to SEE the white face and know that they are not talking to us. That is how I personally got out of the advertisement trap. Except for cheese (go figure) I do not buy anything with a white face on it. And to pay close attention when there is a Black face on the label. Is it a Black person or a blackface? Peace.

• honeytreebee says:

Very aware as always NBP a Black person or a blackface. I stopped eating junk hadn’t had a soda in years along with 95% of the stuff in the stores and my health has improved weight has gone down and I find as far as health and nutrition are concerned wp know next to nothing and are actually invested in keeping everyone sick.

9. […] (After the Trayvon Martin Verdict What Can Black People Do?  Part Three) […]

10. […] After the Trayvon Martin Verdict What Can Black People Do? Part Three […]